Playing on the moon

jgs001

Brian Cox
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I was trying some things out last night, to see how much I could eek out of my kit...

These are all shot with my QHY5v guidecam (about VGA), my C80ED (600mm ED scope) and various Barlows... (a Barlow is an astro version of a TC).

a 2 pane mosaic using a pair of x2 barlows for x4 (fl 2400mm)

Theophilus (61 miles), Cyrillus and Catherina (
theocat800.jpg

a 4 pane mosaic using a 5x barlow (fl 3000mm)
Top down
Ptolemaeus (93 miles), Abategnius, Alphonsus, Arzachel, Purbach, Reigomantus, Werner and Aliacensis
ptolemaeus-aliacensis800.jpg

The Alpine value region
vallisalpes.jpg

Then I got really silly, and put a 2x on the 5x... (roughly 930x magnification, my scope is only supposed to handle about 160x under ideal conditions :D).

Pallas/Murchison, Trisnecker, up to Mare Vaporum
triesnecker.jpg

And finally

Stofler 76 miles across
stofler.jpg

Last edited:
You're :wacky: :p

Sorry for saying that, but amazing shots indeed :clap:

How about some solar flares :thinking:

Thanks... yep totally wail, but its fun... Did you see the 69 pane or 93 pane mosaic's I did ??

As for Solar Flares, I'd love to, but I need to get some specilialist filters first or I'll fry my camera in short order.

:LOL:... Thanks Marcus...

Cheers (y)

Thank you

Hey John,
Just passing by in this forum,but hey thats very nice work.
I enjoyed very much looking at the detail you have captured, but the scale of things in space is just mind boggling to me but interesting non the less to all who will take time to stop by your posting.
I take it that the qhy5v thingy is the camera. (I did google it.), and you somehow join/stitch the small images to make a large one ?

Clever stuff.

Well done John.

Last edited:
Great shots, I cant get good shots on earth let alone the moon.

Nice shots but dont go on holiday, No atmosphere. :runaway:

Hey John,
Just passing by in this forum,but hey thats very nice work.
I enjoyed very much looking at the detail you have captured, but the scale of things in space is just mind boggling to me but interesting non the less to all who will take time to stop by your posting.
I take it that the qhy5v thingy is the camera. (I did google it.), and you somehow join/stitch the small images to make a large one ?

Clever stuff.

Well done John.

Thanks. The QHY5v is indeed the camera. There's a program called iMerge, it's rather manual in that you drag and drop the pieces into place by eye, but it does a good job. None of the automated tools I've tried has been as successful. More often than not, they attempt to compensate the exposure for you and mess it up.

Great shots, I cant get good shots on earth let alone the moon.

Thanks Alan

Nice shots but dont go on holiday, No atmosphere. :runaway:

Cheers Craig... imagine the picture oppos though :D... Earthrise.. what a sight that must be...

John your posts are always eye openers and this one is no exception!

Truly amazing shots! :clap:

Hi John, that's mind blowing stuff (y), you should publish a book with your superb astro shots, when you do, I'd like to request a signed copy :clap: :clap: :clap: Kevin

Thanks guys. I did have a thought of putting my blog in a book, but it's a bit to rambly... perhaps I'll look at doing a photobook of some of my astro shots... Just gotta sort out what's wrong with my mount now... it all went pear shaped last night, I think the HEQ5 is jealous of my lightweight portable setup.

Back