Playing with HDR

Name
Carol
Edit My Images
Yes
Took this on 10th Dec, first snow fall of the year.
The composition of the shot would have been much better if I'd moved the camera a little bit to the right, but it's also a bit dull and flat.

To the castle by cazagee, on Flickr

So I tried a touch of HDR with Photomatrix light. That did brighten it up a bit, but it looks too overdone.

To the Castle HDR by cazagee, on Flickr

So I decided to stack the two images in Registax 5. (I usually use this programme to stack movies of the moon and planets taken through a telescope with the Canon 550d movie mode.) Anyhow I decided to stack these two in the same way as I usually do and this is the result. It is my favourite of the three shots as it brightens up the image while retaining a more natural look.

To the castle 1 & 2 stacked by cazagee, on Flickr

I'm just wondering how to adjust the image to get from No 1 to No 3 without stacking in registax? I'm not that skilled at post processing and usually use ZoomBrowser (or GMIP) to tweek my images.

Any comments appreciated.

Thank you.

Carol

Carol, I opened your image in photoshop and a similar effect can be achieved by adjusting the sliders in shadow/highlights. I don't know about other editing software such as GIMP but would imagine you will have something similar within your software, as this is a common adjustment. HTH Iain

I have to be honest it doesn't really say HDR to me :shrug: but then some of the best HDR you don't actually know that it is so I guess it works, I'm not convinced that the scene really works though :thinking I would have liked a true point of focus picked out :thinking:

Matt
MWHCVT

Thanks Iain that did help.

Now you mention it Matt, I see what you mean...will definately try this shot again bearing that in mind.

Carol :)

Back