B&W Please Critique "I Am The Sea"

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I'm working on a music related portfolio project and this is the first image.

The editing is inspired by The Who's opening track on Quadrophenia "I Am The Sea" taken of the famous Brighton Pier and where a lot of the film was shot too.

Listening to the track (see link below) and looking at the image at the same time, I wanted the desolate and empty image to have a little more life... ( CC, comments and any other feedback welcomed - Thank you )
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyN7WUKRicw

Image Title: I Am The Sea
I Am The Sea by Irafusha By Jason Palmer, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great idea! The only thing negative I an say is the sea sounds alot rougher than shown in the image so doesn't quite match in that sense

Hi Stuart - Thanks you for that. I see what you mean. I think I can do something about that when the project gets to the video editing part. Thanks for the heads up.

J

Or go back and reshoot on a bad day :) get some big waves

that would be a good idea - any excuse to leave manchester and go to brighton for the day ! ha

The first thing I notice is that it looks very noisy, grainy. I don't know whether you mean it to be, or if it's just a style I 'dont get'. The track has great crashing waves on a shingle beach, which this doesn't suggest to me. So it's not really working for me. Sorry.

No worries Beth - thank you for your input. yes the noise is intensional. Originally shot at iso 100 however I wanted to give the image a more relic feel to suit the dilapidated pier of yesteryear :)

I'm not sure what you mean by "the image was inspired by" The last time you posted an edit of this image you said "It was a lucky shot in all honesty - i think it was taken from the little train that runs along Brighton's sea front"

the editing is totally different Colin... So i should of put the "editing is inspired by" sorry for the confusion

I know Brighton very well...I work there
but that shot of the beach/pier is just so noisy...it really depends how you wish to use it...album cover perhaps?

I know Brighton very well...I work there
but that shot of the beach/pier is just so noisy...it really depends how you wish to use it...album cover perhaps?

Hi Rob - it will be a part of a music related portfolio and the noise was intended in post. With things like this I would assume it comes down mainly to taste.. Noise or grain isnt for everyone in this perfect noise free world we live in today... Normally I stear from it myself as much as possible however i just feel it really suits this image more so than without it

Back