Please help with rescuing important images

Edit My Images
No
As a conservation biologist i have recently been using 35mm camera traps in Africa. When my supply of 400 film ran out i had to turn to 200. It was all i could get. The unsophisticated cameras do not distinguish between them and are only designed for 400. Therefore the rolls of 200 are underexposed. I have had one developed (commercially) and the images are underexposed but visible. Is there something that can be done in the film development process that can improve the exposure of these films or is improvement only gained through the printing from negs?

Please help, some of these rolls may be very important to the scientific community.

There will be alot you can do at the printing stage to help improve the images but you can still make the negs better too. Not on the roll thats been processed already but certainly on the rest.

You need to tell the lab that they have been shot at 400iso settings and ask them to "push" the film one stop.

That's basically saying that the films have had half as much light as they would have wanted and the lab will extend the time they are in the developer to get some more detail out.

The quality won't be as good as the 400 film would have been but should be considerably better than the one you've seen so far.

Good luck with them, hope you get what you need.:)

I agree entirely with Daz there. Just use a good pro lab to do the push processing - your average high street processors wont have a clue, if in fact they have the facilities.

Cheers guys, you have confirmed to me what i thought was possible. I'm glad i asked before getting Morrisons to mess them up for me!!!!

Back