Plustek

ped

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

I shoot 35mm film in fairly small quantities, mainly B+W (Ilford HP5+, FP4, XP2) but sometimes colour slide film (Velvia 50). I'm not fussed about speed, especially, but prefer the less fiddle nature and smaller size of the dedicated film scanners.

I was just looking at the Plustek 7400 (£180) in town, which seemed rather tidy. Has anyone tried it? How is the dust/scratch removal? I hear the higher end models have a different scanning technology that removes the imperfections differently, something to do with infrared..

the guy in the shop is quite knowledgeable and friendly (almost TOO chatty!) and we talked about the Epson V500 and he says he prefers the Plustek, and he has owned both.

So - how is it? Does anyone have any samples? I'll look on Flickr in a min. I'll be using it to scan negs then import scans into Lightroom for cataloging and perhaps a bit of PP if needs be.

Any advice would be excellent, and finally, my all important budget. Under £300 preferably, around £200 would be good but it seems there is a big jump between the £200 and £400 price range.

Cheers in advance I look forward to your replies

ped

I vaguely remember Darren (cowasaki) having problems with one of their scanners, but not sure which one it was.

****I shoot 35mm film in fairly small quantities***

In that case I'd look for something like a S/H Epson 2480 for under £20 or use C41 film and get it developed and scanned to CD from £2.96 upwards

If you only shoot 35mm, someone is selling a 35mm film scanner (Minolta) for a tidy price on the classifieds here on this board. I'm only telling you this because I really want it for myself but there is no way I can spare that cash what with the car going in for work atm.

Thanks for the help so far. I have been looking at the results from the Plustek and been reading up on them, it seems the newer models (of which the 7400 is one) are better then the previous ones and the pictures on flickr look great.

****I shoot 35mm film in fairly small quantities***

In that case I'd look for something like a S/H Epson 2480 for under £20 or use C41 film and get it developed and scanned to CD from £2.96 upwards

I have been developing my film myself and taking it to be scanned at ASDA for 97p but it's a bit annoying having to rely on ASDA and their results can be variable, sometimes they come back really nicely though. I would much prefer to be able to do it all myself, and with that being the case, I would probably shoot more film than digital.

ped

I vaguely remember Darren (cowasaki) having problems with one of their scanners, but not sure which one it was.

It was the 7600 se and it was an absolute POS !!

I bought an Epson V500 which stuffs it basically :)

Try scanning very light blue sky.........

It was the 7600 se and it was an absolute POS !!

I bought an Epson V500 which stuffs it basically :)

Oh and I've just bought a HP C8180 all in one printer/scanner. This might be quite good too. It will scan slides, negs 35mm and MF! straight to a computer, memory card or even the built in DVD writer. It will also copy memory cards to DVD. The printer is WIFI and ethernet and you can fit refillable cartridges costing £12 then fill them up 5 times from £15 worth of ink...........

The reason I remember it Darren, was that I was thinking of getting one myself, then you said you had ordered one, and I thought to myself "I'll wait and get first hand recommendation on it" - needless to say, I ended up getting something else - a Canoscan 8800F. :)

The reason I remember it Darren, was that I was thinking of getting one myself, then you said you had ordered one, and I thought to myself "I'll wait and get first hand recommendation on it" - needless to say, I ended up getting something else - a Canoscan 8800F. :)

I thought it looked really good but it was carp at scanning light blue! so it couldn't manage sky of all things. It kept giving it a DARK red tinge. I tried 2 scanners plus 3 different versions of the software the second two of which came straight from plustek.

The Epson V500 is a better scanner and from what I've heard the film scanner in the C8180 is supposed to be almost as good as that too. I've just bought one for £75 off Ebay with a load of spare cartridges. It has more features than any other printer I've ever seen :)

Back