pocket change *new pic*

Name
Nattelie
Edit My Images
Yes
Macro is something that I really struggle with. Silly really, but I've always found it difficult, even on point and shoots and bridge cameras. Since being a prisoner of the snow, I decided to try to brush up on my macro (granted most stuff ended up in my 365).

So...am I getting there? :shrug:

20pwm.jpg

Last edited:
It is not as good as it could be to be honest.

The coin is a flat object and yet you have not managed to keep it all in focus. With a flat object the plane of the sensor needs to be parallel to the subject for it all to be sharp, if this is not possible physically it can be helped by the use of a tilting lens (expensive) or by increasing the depth of field to take in the difference, although obviously you will have the trade off of a lower shutter speed to take into account.

With macro shots depth of field is very limited and therefore you need to get the most that you possibly can as so should use apertures from f11 and higher!

I notice from the exif data that you shot this at f4, had you used f11 or higher it is likely that all of the coin would have been sharp!

You have also chopped the top of the coin off but have spare space at the bottom of the image. Try to ensure that all the subject is in the frame.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
As mentioned, smaller aperture (Higher F stop) would help get more of the coin in focus and use a tripod or gorilla pod, or even a bean bag / old sock filled with rice.

You could also use reduced power flash to try and bring some contrast out. That way you could shoot at F11, 1/200 and still hand hold.

I found lying the coin flat and raising the camera from eye level to coin to just above it, you get good depth and nice sharpness to it without having to have the complete coin on show, gives it some interest too.

I also tried spinning a coin to catch the motion and coin - I advise against this - darn hard indeed!

Tried again ;)

TBH I find holding a camera at the moment is near impossible (hands not so good ATM) so I've been using my tripod and gorilla pod alot, with a shutter release. Also cause I can't stand and bend over a coin, having it tilted (resting on something) seems to do the trick. Ok...a little unorthadox but hey, life would be boring if everything was the same ;)

Anyway, alot longer shutter speed and smaller aperture (y)

20p2wm.jpg

any betterer? Not sure I have the colour right though.

Wow! Big improvement! Composition much better and all of the coin in focus! Macro does need patience and a bit of creativity also! This is a great reference shot and an ideal subject to start off with. Just look how different the 2 shots are! Now try a stack of coins in different positions, scattered on the table, piled up etc and play about with the aperture again. If you are using a tripod use your live view if you have it (I think the a350 does!) to save bending over etc and see the difference a touch of focus makes! Are you using manual focus? If not start its not as scary as it may seem!

Also Nat - flip the 20p over and make sure it has got a year stamped on it. If not it is worth about 100 pounds as a mule!

Sorry for no crit - I am not too good at macro!

That's a big improvement. Coin much more in focus. Well done.

As for the colour, well yeah, it's a little on the warm side but you can easily fix that using the gradient map tool in photoshop if you have it. Either that or a basic desaturation with some contrast adjustments.

Also, do you have an external flash? If so, have a go with it on reduced power. Here's an example I took earlier this evening to demonstrate. The flash is down at -1/3, Aperture F13 and shutter speed at 1/200. This allowed me to hand hold and even if I moved a little, the shutter speed was quick enough to allow for motion and the aperture was small enough to keep the coin in focus. You can still use tripod/gorilla pod though of course.

This itself is not a perfect shot but it shows the difference in using flash as well. Even the onboard flash is useable. hold a bit of milk carton in front of it to diffuse it.

Mind, you the thing about using flash is that it will show all of those blemishes in the coin :)

Perservere with your macro. It's exceptionally rewarding once you've really got the hang of it and you stepped up the ladder this evening :)

761904683_mye9w-O.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you.

Matt, it does indeed have a date on the back. :LOL:

Rob, that's the next plan :LOL: I have a little collection of coins on the table ready for tomorrows shot (y) Definately using the manual focus, auto focus seems like cheating TBH! :LOL: but have to admit I'm struggling a bit with my hands *moan, grumble, wah*

Ian, I tried doing it with flash too (as well as long exposure) and I dunno, I just didn't like it as much, the last few days I haven't used the flash much (I nearly always use it) and it's kinda cool doing things a little differently. I'll try some with flash again tomorrow though (y) and hopefully get a better shot than I got today - and turn the speed down with the flash on.

Did some beads too (in my 365) but didn't realise how much reflection I'd get from them TBH.

Last edited:
Hey nat, just a quick questin what lens are you using for your macro work? you've given me inspiration to give it a go......:clap:(y)

hey well done Nat, that's a huge improvement already!

I was messing about doing some oil and water shots with my stepdaughter earlier today and it makes me humble, just how much I take for granted with functioning hands yet you simply don't let it get you down too much.

Huge respect to you my girl! xxx

Tried again ;)

TBH I find holding a camera at the moment is near impossible (hands not so good ATM) so I've been using my tripod and gorilla pod alot, with a shutter release. Also cause I can't stand and bend over a coin, having it tilted (resting on something) seems to do the trick. Ok...a little unorthadox but hey, life would be boring if everything was the same ;)

Another method you could try if hand holding is a problem and leaning over also. You could use double-sided tape to attach the coin to a wall or piece of cardboard and put in whatever would be themost comfortable position for you.

I've done that with coins before now.

The other thing you could consider if you want a more interesting shot than a simple flat plane shot is a technique called focus stacking where you shoot several exposures focussed at different points of the image and combine them together using the sharpest bits of each (using free software). You can get some stunningly sharp macro work with this.

There's an excellent video tutorial somewhere on ephotozine.tv if you're interested I'll try and find the link for you. Here's an example of one of mine.

Focus-Stack2asmall3.jpg

http://alexeames.com/Focus-Stack2a.jpg for a large version.

Here - I found the link to that video. http://www.ephotozine.tv/video/focus-stacking-explained-625

Last edited:
Back