Pocket wizard models

antonroland

Inspector Gadget
Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
O.K. So these are generally held to be the best around.

Anyone here who owns them? I would like to know if it is worth splashing out on the Multimax at about U$ 300.00 per piece as opposed to the Plus II at less than U$ 200.00 per piece?

Can the Multimax do anything worthwhile that the Plus II can not?

Thanks(y)

the only real reason I have a pair of multimaxes is for the extra channels they offer. In some contest/event situations only 4 available channels is not enough for everyone. There are a few other nice features, such as the way you can control a camera without having to use full pre-release on the shutter (only newer models).

However, I wouldn't spend anywhere near that much on them. I got 3 Plus IIs for just under £300 and 2 multimaxes for about £270. I wouldn't want to spend any more than that.

Where did you buy from? Those are rather good prices? GBP 1.00 = ROUGHLY U$ 1.50 right?

B&H lists the Plus II at about U$ 188.00...about GBP 125 or so which translates to more than GBP 25 per unit saving...to lazy to do the math on the Multimax now:bonk::bonk::bonk:

Can the Multimax be used with the Plus II?

I'm sure you're aware of it, but in case some others might not be; remember the difference between the US and EU models of Pocket Wizard - this might come into play if you buy another set from a different source than your first.

I got a friend to import them for me when the £ was strong. Getting them sent here will usually result in a large customs bill which makes them even worse value.
the Plus IIs are backward compatible with the multimax TXers on the first 4 channels.
A more popular alternative now seems to be elinchrom skyports, they are much cheaper and have most of the same features. I'm probably gonna buy a set of elinchrom skyport RX remotes when my ranger arrives.

Multimaxes can do second curtain sync (although for this you can have one Txing to PlusII recievers)

Back