Polariser help/guidance please

Edit My Images
Yes
Now i should know better, but i have a Firecrest CPL which sits on the end of my Lee filter holder. I bought it from a member on here a couple of years ago. Now i know about shooting at 90' to the sun and so on, but...... I cannot seem to see the difference whenever i rotate it when looking through the lens. there are two notches on the ring, can anyone tell me if they are meant to be in specific positions?

Curiously, if i take it off the lens and just hold it up to the light and look through it, whilst rotating the ring i do not see any visible change in the light coming through. However, when i reverse the holder and in effect look through the lens as if i was looking into the camera sensor, i get the polarising effect. the sky goes bluer and the water stops reflecting.

Is there a possibility this was built the wrong way round? am i missing something obvious? i really am scratching my head so any advice is warmly welcomed.

Are you rotating the treaded section while holding the front still? I make this mistake when testing.

My firecrest polariser has no effect if i look at a light but if looking at the TV, the screen turns black at 2 points during a rotation, aproximately 11oclock and 5 oclock if using the writting on the rim as a reference.This is from camera side i.e from the treaded side

However if i look the wrong way non-threaded side as if looking into the camera I only get a slight tonal shift in the TV colours.

Yes as above, I did the same thing tested looking out window and zip, pointed at tv or car windows and everything started to make sense.

Car windscreens are a good one, especially in the rain or sunlight, I have a white pen and just marked the top of the filter so I know where it is.

Ok, so just to bring this up again as it’s still making my head hurt.

I’m sat here in front of my telly box. Filter reversed (ie camera end pointing at telly), it goes dark at two points as I rotate it.

When facing the right way round. I get a slight change in his from yellow to blue.

Is this how it should be or is my filter somehow built th wrong way round?

Your help for this simpleton is much appreciated.

Back