Polarising filter

Edit My Images
Yes
I read somewhere that only certain lenses can be fitted with these due to the way they focus, is this true? and if so what lens feature allows the use of said filter?

:confused-

i don't think it's a matter of lens but lens type, see some have a fixed focus and some have a rotating focus barrel so a linear would be no good (i think) circular polarisers are fine for any type of lens though. AFAIK

The recommended type of polariser for autofocus cameras is circular.
Linear polarisers can interefere with the way AF Cameras focus, something to do with them blocking a certain type of light that the AF system uses.

I have a circular filter, and both my lenses are external focus, in that the barrel rotates the filter when it focuses.

All it requires is to set the shot up first, focus, then rotate the polariser to the desired position.

Well it's *an* answer. Not sure how correct it is :D

I've used both circular & linear on both Fuji (s602) & Canon (350D & A85) cameras with no detremental effect on the AF. On the Canons with the linear, however, you have to adjust the exposure to compensate as the metering can't cope with it (apparently it uses a type of polariser in the metering & gets confused). As far as lenses is concerned if you have a rotating front element you have to adjust the filter no matter which type it is after the camera has focused.

Does it make much difference then the orientation of the filter?

Back