Polarizer & Filter Help

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Just got the Canon 10-22 (Cheers Kerso :clap: ) and am wondering about polarizers.

I have a Polarizer which fits in the Cokin P adapter. Unfortunately, the adapter obstructs the view upto 12mm. I am loathe to hack it so would rather spend £9.50 on a new wide angle one!

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to a Cokin P adapter polarizer over one that screws into the front thread of the lens?

e.g HOYA 77mm Pro 1 Pro1 CPL PL Circular Polarising Filter
or C170 HOYA 77mm CIR-POLARIZING PL-CIR CPL Filter

Assuming I go the wideangle route, I know the holder only takes 1 filter...Is hand holding extra filters practical? or should I lose the 2mm wide and keep the regular cokin P?

Am I making sense? It sounded ok in my head but I am tired! :wacky:

Thanks

Hmm, not sure really. Though I fear you will suffer vignetting no matter what you do. If you use a non wide angle cokin P holder for multiple filters, you will see the edges. If you stack the cokin system on top on a ring style CPL, you will see the edges. So really it depends on what you want to use. If you only wish to use one filter at a time, then a wide angle cokin holder and the cokin CPL will be fine, and have no real advantage over the ring style filter. If however you want to use multiple filters, perhaps invest in the next cokin series up, as this has larger filter holders, and may solve the problem :)

HTH

I seem to remember reading somewhere about circular polarising filters having a big (bad) effect on super wide angle lenses, something to do with the light hitting the polarizer at extreme angles. I've seen examples where you get a huge difference in exposure in a patch on a single photo. Can't remember where I saw this, maybe someone else knows what I am dribbling on about?!!!

Correct, Steveo, wide angle lenses and polarizing filters don't go together well at all. I wouldn't like to use a CP on anything less than 50mm focal length (35mm equivalent).

A tutor told my son at uni..(hes doing a commercial photography degree) that all the filters you need are in Photoshop..bought ones are for Amateurs...:bang::bang::wacky::wacky:

Cheers all

I have ordered the wide angle adapter anyway as I want to be able to use grads. I won't bother with a screw in type, ill just see what I get with the Cokin P Polarizer on the wide angle adapter.

Just need a decent weekend weather to be able to use the darned thing! :)

A tutor told my son at uni..(hes doing a commercial photography degree) that all the filters you need are in Photoshop..bought ones are for Amateurs...:bang::bang::wacky::wacky:

I'd say I'm suprised at the tutors statement - but I'm not unfortunately, state of the nation and all that :(

The wide angle Cokin is the way to go.

Definitely need to be a bit careful with the polariser on the wide angle lens. I frequently, infact pretty much always, use it on my Sigma 17-70 & at the widest it does occasionally produce undesired effects - on the 10-22 this will be increasingly evident. Still worth trying though, just make sure you take shots with & without !!

Simon

I use the cokin cpl, with my 10-20mm sigma. Its ok until you hit cetain angles to the sun, which will result in some of the sky being more effected by the pol than the other side, It can be used creatively, and still offers some great effects. I still get some vignetting due to the CPL's thickness but tbh I like the effect. Hope that helps

Back