Polarizing filter or UV?

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,
Quick question,
Which filter would reduce haze in images more?
I suspect polarizing but wikipedia says UV also removes haze?
Thanks

UV does next to nothing other than protect the lens. A CPL filter is what removes the haze or unwanted light e.g. reflections or glare etc.

UV does next to nothing other than protect the lens. A CPL filter is what removes the haze or unwanted light e.g. reflections or glare etc.

Sounds good, any particular brands you would recommend?
I hear Hama are good, but they are expensive. :thumbsdown:

There are quite a few brands out there but B+W are one of the best if not the best in the business and are very expensive. I have been using Hoya Pro1-D series and have been very pleased with them. Kenko are the same but a tad cheaper, they are actually Hoya products rebranded.

If you do go with the Hoya series or alike, make sure you don't get something that is cheap like the green series as they are quite bad. As a minimum, try to get one that is multicoated. Hope it helps! ;)

There's not a lot you can do about real haze. It's just grot in the atmosphere. But a polariser will cut through scattered light in the atmosphere to give you much better skies. It's most effective at right angles to the sun. It will also cut out reflections from many other surfaces and give you much better pictures all round.

UV could/should really be renamed lens protector only!

As Jerry says there's not really much that any filter can do with strong haze, it may help a little but don't count on it...

I personally use a Hoya Pro 1 D polariser

Simon

As Jerry says there's not really much that any filter can do with strong haze, it may help a little but don't count on it...

I personally use a Hoya Pro 1 D polariser

Simon

As of tomorrow so will I, I ordered one before :)

Hi, a UV filter was used on film cameras as film was(is) sensitive to UV light and if you have an excess of UV in the photo it will cause unwanted colour variation. Digital cameras, as far as I understand it, do not have this sensitivity hence the UV filter has limited use.
A polar, will appear to increase haze penetration but what is actually being seen is increased contrast due to the reduction of the reflected/polarised light. I find a polar quite useful in outside photography.

Back