polarizing filters

Name
Tom Kondrat
Edit My Images
No
Do you know any good links with polarizing filter tests and reviews?

If you arent prepared to spend lots of money on filters(like me) then a 7DAYSHOP Circular polariser works very well, saturating colours and darkening skies, reducing glare aswell.
www.7dayshop.com

I remember a review a few years ago the result of which was that they're all pretty good. Maybe the cheaper ones are more likely to fall apart, but optically they were much of a muchness.

I tried a Hoya Pro series polariser the coating of which proved very susceptible to getting scratched. Even sweet wrappers in my pocket would do it. Hoya replaced it for me but the second one was just as bad. I suggest that a polariser will be on and off your lens so often that it needs to be a bit more robust than that. I went back to the standard Hoya ones, which have always seemed fine to me.

I had a Jacobs by Cokin Polariser which was fine on my 18-70mm lens, but when I tried to get one for my 70-300mm, the lens wouldn't focus at the long end of the zoom range. And indeed the image in the viewfinder was distorted. I thought my lens was broken until I went back to the shop. Such high magnification showed the limitations of that make of filter. I tried a Hoya one in the shop, and that seemed fine. :) I didn't have the extra cash to get the Hoya at that time.

I've since changed the 18-70 to a 16-85, and the 70-300 from a Sigma to a Nikon, and luckily they have the same filter size, so when the Jacobs polariser got damaged last week I went for the Hoya Pro1 Digital. I got this filter because it was double coated, though nearly twice the price of the single coated Hoya. :eek:

I hope it doesn't prove to be easily scratched as jerry12953 has said. ;)

Just buy the good Hoya ones from Hong Kong. Literally half the price if not more.

Back