Beginner Popped my Lightning and Night Sky cherry out in Spain on holiday - quite addicted now!

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

While on holiday in Spain over the past couple of weeks, the skies were brilliantly clear, even with light pollution all over. I managed to utilise a small fold up table as a makeshift tripod. I managed to get shooting stars which I wasn't expecting.

IMG_0889b_1 by Adrian Draghia, on Flickr

IMG_0888b by Adrian Draghia, on Flickr

A few nights later I had the luck to have some lightning 'round the place I was staying. I didn't pack a tripod with me due to size restrictions flying hand luggage only with SqueezyJet. I had to improvise by using grabbing a small fold up table and rushing to the end of the road to minimise unwanted obstructions.

IMG_2090b by Adrian Draghia, on Flickr

IMG_2083b by Adrian Draghia, on Flickr

IMG_2099b_1 by Adrian Draghia, on Flickr

Also, on one of the final nights, we were down by the local beach and thought I'd snap a night shot.

IMG_1880b by Adrian Draghia, on Flickr

What do you guys and gals think?

Those lightning shots are incredible, I often go and watch but not with a camera, really should, well done on getting them :)

Last edited:
Thank you both.

I missed a few bolts while I was setting up the camera and finding focus, but I'm really pleased how they turned out. I'd love to get a bolt striking the top of a skyscraper!!

Last year, towards the end of summer, me and the missus decided to go over to the Elan Valley to catch the lightening on camera as it was forecast to be a great night for it.

Got there and saw a couple of flashes so set the camera and tripod up.

......................................................... nothing

Decided to drive home and when we got close to home (Kidderminster) a massive storm came across.

Typical! Too wet to get the camera out and to be honest was quite fed up having driven for 150 miles for nothing.

Your shots are great Adrian. One day I may give it another go.

Amazing shots of the lightening

Thank you very much :)

Last year, towards the end of summer, me and the missus decided to go over to the Elan Valley to catch the lightening on camera as it was forecast to be a great night for it.

Got there and saw a couple of flashes so set the camera and tripod up.

......................................................... nothing

Decided to drive home and when we got close to home (Kidderminster) a massive storm came across.

Typical! Too wet to get the camera out and to be honest was quite fed up having driven for 150 miles for nothing.

Your shots are great Adrian. One day I may give it another go.

I had a similar experience a few years ago in exactly the same spot as I took my shots above as you did. We heard thunder so I immediately got my camera gear out, with tripod (which people on the airplane on the way to Spain frowned upon as it was awkward!), and then nothing. Nothing at all.

I was quite disheartened but after last week I must say I would travel to try and capture many more of these.

I had to fight with myself after each exposure to stop the camera and check the results, but that would have meant missing other shots! I missed a few bolts while I was setting up the camera gear but oh well.

I hope you do give it another go, the rewards far outweigh the negatives.

Those lightening shots are awesome. The first night photo I'm sure is a satellite as I guessed the length of exposure at 30 secs before looking at it on Flickr. The light trail is too uniform to be a meteor. The second one is too faint to tell. Also you would be pushing it to capture meteors at f4 ISO800. I've captured a few at f2.8 ISO3200 and they are very faint then. Find somewhere dark on August 11th/12th for the Perseids meteor shower (one of the best one's of the year) :)

Those lightening shots are awesome. The first night photo I'm sure is a satellite as I guessed the length of exposure at 30 secs before looking at it on Flickr. The light trail is too uniform to be a meteor. The second one is too faint to tell. Also you would be pushing it to capture meteors at f4 ISO800. I've captured a few at f2.8 ISO3200 and they are very faint then. Find somewhere dark on August 11th/12th for the Perseids meteor shower (one of the best one's of the year) :)
I'm hoping to go to the science museum in Herstmonceux as they've got an open evening on the 12th.
I've got a full frame camera now so I'm hoping to get better results. Fingers crossed for clear skies!

While I was out in Spain taking those night shots above, there was quite a lot of light pollution due to the houses all around us so I'm surprised I got anything at all!

Back