Port Lympne advice please?

Edit My Images
No
Hi All

SWMBO bought me for my birthday present a Gorilla Safari day at Port Lympne so now looking for a little insight from folk that have been on such an event.

I am looking for some user experience with lens choices ~ I have my 24-105 f4 and the 100-300 f5.6 in the kit bag (not the sharpest at 300mm sadly) but have in the past hired the 100-400 f4.5/f5.6 for airshows and the odd wildlife excursion. More than happy to hire a 'best' lens as appropriate but which one??? Do I need reach or aperture i.e. will the 100-400 do the business or should I plump for the 70-200 f2.8 (could also hire the x1.4 tele convertor in case added reach is needed???)

Oh and is a monopod usefull at all as I note a certain amount of the photographic opps are from the Landy!

TIA

:)

Reach will be your friend at Port Lympne. Most of my Gorilla shots from there where with a 300 + 1.4 TC and I wished I had a tad more.

I would defo go with the 100-400mm lens for this, as it is the Gorilla day, I have been on a few of them down there, u go on the keepers path as the general public stand at least 30 ft back on a small path. As for the Monopod take it, I have just bought two bean bags for the cameras and come in hand too.

hi Tia
when are you going on the experience day, I'm going along on next Saturday (22 May).... can't wait!

i've hired a Nikon 80-400VR for the day, so looking forward to using that, the longest reach i own is a 55-200VR.

i don't want to be taking all my lenses really, what 2nd lens would anyone recommend? i've got:
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 DC EX HSM
Nikon 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G AF-S
Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 SP AF XR Di LD Aspherical
Nikon 35mm f1.8 G AF-S DX
Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR

and i'm guessing a monopod is a must? i've not got one, so will have to go and buy one if it's recommended?

hi Tia
when are you going on the experience day, I'm going along on next Saturday (22 May).... can't wait!

i've hired a Nikon 80-400VR for the day, so looking forward to using that, the longest reach i own is a 55-200VR.

i don't want to be taking all my lenses really, what 2nd lens would anyone recommend? i've got:
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 DC EX HSM
Nikon 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G AF-S
Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 SP AF XR Di LD Aspherical
Nikon 35mm f1.8 G AF-S DX
Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR

and i'm guessing a monopod is a must? i've not got one, so will have to go and buy one if it's recommended?

Hi Benners

:LOL:TIA is "thanks in advance" ~ Box Brownie to my TP & POTN friends :wave:

I am going in June (28th I think it is???) if I had your gear and bearing in mind you are hiring the 80-400mm I would pack the 28-75 (I have my Canon 24-105) and if I have the WA would take the 10-22mm

I look forward to you posting of your experience and few images to share :clap:

Hi Benners

:LOL:TIA is "thanks in advance" ~ Box Brownie to my TP & POTN friends :wave:

I am going in June (28th I think it is???) if I had your gear and bearing in mind you are hiring the 80-400mm I would pack the 28-75 (I have my Canon 24-105) and if I have the WA would take the 10-22mm

I look forward to you posting of your experience and few images to share :clap:

haha, i can't find the embarrassed smiley!
though Tia is quite a cool name... aaanyway...!

i think i'll be able to take those 3 lenses, the wide angle could provide some nice shots :)
really looking forward to it and the weather forecast is meant to be decent (y)

Back