Portable HDD's?

Name
Emma-Louise
Edit My Images
Yes
OMG there are soooooo many available - recommendations please - think i'm looking at a 500gb External HDD, but what does anyone recommend?

I'd prefer one without a plug?

Thanks Muchly in advance :)

Em :)

If you mean powered by USB only, then you are pretty much restricted to 2.5" drives. I'd recommend you get one with the option to power it with 2 usb cables too, as some older laptop, and front usb sockets on desktops don't provide enough juice for larger/faster drives

If you mean powered by USB only, then you are pretty much restricted to 2.5" drives. I'd recommend you get one with the option to power it with 2 usb cables too, as some older laptop, and front usb sockets on desktops don't provide enough juice for larger/faster drives

Yea that's the kind i seem to be looking at but there are so many brands - as for dual powered not so much an issue - i've a quad core Lappy and a decent Mac and PC, all with USb 2 and i've no intentions of letting it outta my site! am so paranoid about loosing images AGAIN! It's more brands that are so confusing there are so many!

:) Thank you

The Western Digital My Passport series is great, I know about four people on my course who use them beside me regularly.

Another vote for WD My Passport. I've got 3 of them (including a 500Gb). Works from 1 USB lead. Reliable, seamless operation and well built. Excellent piece of kit.

To be honest in that case, just go for any that you think looks nice and I'd stick in the middle of the price range. There are only a few hard drive manufacturers out there, So it's really only the circuit board and box that's going to be different at the end of the day. I've got a packard bell that works fine, and for my larger one I bought the drive and box separately (samsung drive and an icybox enclosure) it tends to be more expensive that way but then you know what make of drive you've got, and samsung are quiet and fast.

Ok so WD My Passport it is :) i'll trust the 2 votes :) i'm trying to get ordered now o i get before the weekend :) Guessing CCLONLINE or ebuyer :) WOO :)

I don't wanna loose any more images!!! :(

Can you get a case for a 2.5" drive?

I've just swapped my 250gb laptop drive for a 500gb and now have a 250gb drive hanging around doing nothing, can it be used in some type of usb case?

another vote for WD here to

i went for the 320gb version though (i think, cant remember now)

i also formatted it completely when getting it, saved me using there software as i backup my own stuff anyway which now makes it plug and play

Shockingly bad reviews in that above link though. Youch.. Although weighed up 3-1 on good ones.

Back