Portable photo printing at events/shows

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Probably like many here I have been to shows and events etc where there is always a stand with a tog taking pictures of 'something' and offering prints right away.

You know the one, guy with a barn owl and the kids all want their piccy taken with it for £3.

Spotted a guy this week no generator and printing away quite the thing. He had an Epson box in the car but that doesn't mean it was an Epson printer.

My question is how do they print them instantly without electricity? Are there 12v printers available or are there printers available that have a reducer from 240/110 to 12v?

I know most printers have reducers but most of them I've looked at are 30v.

Any clues or does anyone here do it? :shrug:

I agree sounds as though he had an inverter. A small printer will probably only consume 50-100 watts. My R300 is 50. That's around 4-8 amps @12v but add a bit more for system loss.

almost certainly a mains inverter.

the proper name for a reducer is a transformer - transformers can be used as step up or step down transformers to increase or decrease a voltage. It comprises of wire wound around a magnet and the number of coils on the input and output circuit decides what the ratio will be.

If he's sensible, he's got an extra battery so its not discharging his car - some of the leisure batteries for camping (motorhome / caravans) could do this.

the proper name for a reducer is a transformer - transformers can be used as step up or step down transformers to increase or decrease a voltage. It comprises of wire wound around a magnet and the number of coils on the input and output circuit decides what the ratio will be.

QUOTE]

One of the (many) things I love about TP is there's always somebody who can give dumbos like me a nice clear explanation about something. I knew transformers ...well.... transformed :shrug: but I thought they only went downwards. :bonk: That's a nice simple explanation even I can make sense of and I've learned something new. Thanks, andrewc. :):):)

Most inverters will have an auto-shut off feature so that it will stop using your car's electrisity before the battery dies.

Mine does, and it only cost me 15 quid.

almost certainly a mains inverter.

If he's sensible, he's got an extra battery so its not discharging his car - some of the leisure batteries for camping (motorhome / caravans) could do this.

Not strictly true but pretty damn close, an inverter converts DC to AC so if joe bloggs is running a printer from a car battery he could be using an inverter or he could have rigged up a supply directly if the printer uses 12VDC.

I've got an old Canon i70 which had an optional external battery pack for printing on site. I think the latest incarnation is the i90, and I don't know if they still do the batteries, but the print quality for photos was always fantastic, and seemed an excellent solution for onsite printing requirements.....can't see it on amazon.co.uk but you can get it from the other side of the atlantic.

I used to run a 2500W generator on my mobile printing unit, but also had electric hook-up and UPS.

The UPS worked hard for maybe 6 - 8 hours without issues. It was a 5000W UPS system (Eaton Powerware) and would run 2 x small Acer L100's, 2 monitors, a beefier PC and 2 printers. It was pulling approx 700watts max and would run like I say for several hours.

Would get it on charge once fully discharged ready for the next time.

Brilliant as it was, it was blumming heavy!!

PS - sorry to drag up this very old post!! :LOL:

Back