Portable storage for holidays

Name
Craig Thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Holiday season is approaching and am planning on taking lots of pics this year with the new d200, I have a couple of compact flash cards an am looking at getting a portable storage device to transfer them to once they are full so I can then start all over a gain. My budget is around £100 - £150. Anyone with experience of these type of gadgets and price range you experience and advice would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Craig

The cheapest are just storage... but the ones with screens are much more expensive.

The cheapest are just storage... but the ones with screens are much more expensive.

The 'ones with screens' - are as expensive as a cheap laptop - so I wouldn't buy. Just get storage - until you can afford a small laptop - with a large HD.

I bought an Epson p2000 a couple of years ago and took it round India and Mexico and it coped realy well. 40Gb and a doddle to use with a reasonable screen. About £200 or so

I use to use a Creative Zen Vision W, which has a CF card slot, and nice screen and is a great video and audio player. The only issue is that it cannot read RAW, but as a storage device it is fast and reliable, and you can fill up the whole drive on one battery charge. If you really want image preview, then you can do RAW + Jpeg.

I now mostly use a Asus EEE PC 701. The screen is bigger, and it can run lightroom, which lets me do keywording on the go. Bit overkill for you, but you may be able to find a used one going for about £150, and if you have external 2.5 inch drives lying around this can be a good option.

Hi All,

Holiday season is approaching and am planning on taking lots of pics this year with the new d200, I have a couple of compact flash cards an am looking at getting a portable storage device to transfer them to once they are full so I can then start all over a gain. My budget is around £100 - £150. Anyone with experience of these type of gadgets and price range you experience and advice would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Craig
You can buy 4gb cards for £20ish these days
Is it not a better bet just to get a few more cards ?

I like to have the security of both cards and portable storage - 2 copies of everyithing.

If it was me, I'd just buy extra CF cards. They are pretty ceap now you will certainly get 10 x 2gig cards (probably more) for the price of a modest storage device. CF cards are small and don't need batteries and you will probably get more use out of them in normal circumstances than you will a storage device. The perfect solution I think.

If you want the addition security of cards and storage, this is under £100, no screen, but can't have everything for that money. I cant recommend them as never used them, I just still have it bookmarked because thinking about one for holidays too.

http://www.kingsleyphoto.co.uk/prod.php?prod=293

Please, please, please do not buy one of those if there is any possible alternative. It's the worst bit of junk I've ever bought and has been reduced to nothing more than a very expensive card reader.

It's unreliable, slow, has awful battery life and will probably just plain stop working at the worst possible moment.

I use an Asus EEEPC plus a 40gb external drive. The EEE is only £200 for a full featured (but tiny!) laptop and a 40gb hard drive can be picked up for peanuts these days.

Gives me added functionality of being able to connect to the web anywhere I go, edit photos and movies (all be it slowly) and its so small you hardly know your carrying it. Just dont go for the Linux version!

Chris

Back