Portfolio advice for a newbie

Name
Alanna
Edit My Images
No
I'm quite new to photography as a hobby, so I'm not looking to bring in any professional aspects yet, but I am interested in creating a photography portfolio for the shots I've taken so far. I was wondering if anyone has some advice.

I definitely want to create an online portfolio, using my own domain name and preferably without spending money for a service (luckily my other half builds websites so I should be able to get something built no problem). I'm looking for presentation tips for the website - what would you want to see from an online photography portfolio. I'll take on board any advice that anyone with a bit more experience than me can give.

The second aspect of my portfolio is a potential offline version. Would it be a good idea for me to create an offline portfolio to marry with my online portfolio? Does anyone have any experiences where an offline portfolio has served them well? Is this something worth me putting together, or are people more interested in online portfolios these days?

Any tips or advice that anyone can give me on this would be VERY much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Alanna

Hi. Think about who you are aiming this portfolio at. If its just to show your work to friends maybe flickr to start with? The hardest bit is selecting images to show. To start think in groups, say put 3 images in a group and consider if they "work" are they complementary. The most difficult bit is weeding out shots. Have fun!

Edit: see you have flickr. Perhaps start with your best flower shots and group them together to decide which ones to include?

Last edited:
Back