Portobello Beach

Name
Joe Vernon
Edit My Images
Yes
Took a trip to Portobello beach the other day... was freezing!

beach1.jpg

beach2.jpg

beach3.jpg

beach4.jpg

beach5.jpg

beach7.jpg

beach8.jpg

beach9.jpg

I'm still very much a beginner - any feedback, especially which I can learn from, more than welcome! I bought a tripod the other day, which enabled me to take some of those longer exposure shots. Had do to a fair amount of dust removal with such small aperture's though! Thanks for looking :)

Agree - some really nice shots there. Exposure and f/stop all seems fine. Colours are great, but there's a rule of 3rds thing that's a bit off on some of them - a lot of your focal points are dead centre - suggest you move left or right next time.

Well done for posting - look forward to seeing more

#1 - The composition isn't bad, but its kind of tonally flat. Needs more contrast (not using the contrast tool).

#2 - Nice colours but it would be better turned to the left as the right hand side fades off. Its giving me the impression that there was a nice sunset to the left and you've cut it off.

#3 - Hmm. I'm not sure if it works well head on. The left is busier than the right which is kind of empty. I'd have maybe stood back with the wood one third of the way into the frame and 2/3rds on the right empty to maybe balance it.

#4 - This is better, but I feel theres too much detail been lost in the shadows. I probably would have gone for something rule of thirdsy to balance it out, rather than having the end point of the wood hit the middle.

#5 - Hmmm. The depth of field seems to wander off to the left but the way the image works your eyes wander off to the right.

#6 - Oh no, white vignetting. Noooo :p You need to read up on rule of thirds to help compose your shots. Like the first its kinda flat.

#7 - nice colours but there's nothing really in the centre of the image to look at.

#8 - Doesn't really work for me for similar reasons previously mentioned.

Rule of thirds

Wow - all these comments already - I think blackstar's been chatting :) Thanks very much for the advice and comments, appreciate them.

Here's a last minute number 9.

beach10.jpg

Yup - the DoF is quite wrong on #5, because it's mostly artificial. For #1, I was kind of aiming for it to be tonally flat, barren, washed out... but that seems not really possible with the dark wood. So I think I know what you mean.

...and ah yes, white vignetting. I've never used it before! There's a first (and last) time for everything, right? :)

some great shots....personally for me my favourite is number three...something eerie about it .....xxxx

5,6,7 for me! 5 Especially, just that little bit different!

Back