Portrait & Lighting workshops

Edit My Images
Yes
What could I expect to come away with, on a workshop for potrait and lighting? Would I be able to use the pictures for my own portfolio? could I learn about basic lighting over a couple of days to be comfortable to do my own shoots? or is it just a case of hanging out with a celeb Youtuber and spending a lot of money that I could have used to buy some lighting and teach myself? I have been on a workshop for another genre that was giffted to me by my girlfriend and it was a complete waste of time, luckily it wasn't an expensive one but it did kind of put me off them ever since. I won't mention any names but dissapointed was an understatement!! I am comfortable with a camera in my hands but don't have experience of posing people and knowing where to put my lights etc to a basic look.

Pros and cons to Youtube or workshops :)
I had a one on one day with a pro walking around Edinburgh a few years ago. Taught me a few things but the upshot was that going out and doing it myself benefited me more.
I find that working with others is very helpful. I take pics for Beltane Fire Society and learning the ropes with the other 12 togs at workshops was necessary. You can learn settings etc but composition comes down to experience.
I'm doing a master class in fire staff spinning for 5 weeks. I'm learning the techniques but proficiency comes with practice...

Disclaimer.. Some time ago I asked admin about including a link to my own workshops in my signature but never got a reply.. so please accept my apologies if this comes across as spam.

I've been on a number of workshops over the years, and still do the odd one. They vary hugely in quality. Some are a bun fight with everyone shooting at once and no tuition. Some are focused very much on the teaching with little opportunity to shoot.

'Workshops' tend to come in a few flavours:
  • group shoots, which can be ok so long as folk only shoot one at a time
  • workshops, which major on tuition
  • portfolio builders, which are about getting some images to take away
  • 1-1, which can be whatever you want
  • Mentoring, which tends to be more about professional development.
For my small group workshops I tend to spend the first part on theory, though every gets some time to get some record shots. Then in the second part we use that theory to create a setup where everyone gets to shoot for a little while.

My 1-1 workshops are completely tailored to the individual. If you want me to set stuff up so that you can shoot then I would; if you want to concentrate on learning then I can do that too.

Last edited:
don't mind the advise at all, I probably fit in the group workshop camp but that could vary depending on the size of the group to model ratio as well.

Good teachers and good photographers are not necessarily the same thing.

I doubt you can learn that much about lighting in a single session.
It would be worth while going to a few exhibitions and galleries. like the national portrait gallery and seeking out works by famous photographers of the past and present.
That way you will find out what you like and what interests you.
After which you will have a better Idea what you need to learn, and what you need in the way of equipment.

Jane Bown the famous Observer portrait photographer used simple cameras like an Olympus OM1 or a Rollieflex, and available light. She rarely took more that half a dozen shots to produce her masterpieces. Karsh of Ottawa rarely took more than one shot on large format film. Both were masters of the use of light. and interpreting character.

Even today the more famous portrait photographers use simple lighting and equipment.
But they are all people people, who understand what make people tick, and how to bring out peoples character and personalities.

Back