portrait

Edit My Images
Yes
i thought id have a go at this on the weekend, so i snapped a somewhat unsupecting girlfriend while at the beach. ive never really taken portrait shots so id appriciate your advice on this one please guys and gals. i gave the skin a softer feel but kept everything else sharp. i like it but im sure i could make it better.

dsc2257copy1cc.jpg

Thats really good - looks like a true candid moment captured:)

What lens did you use?

That's very nice. It looks like a very natural shot which I'm sure captures a typical expression of the young lady concerned. I just cropped it to how I see it, got rid of the shadow under her right eye, lightened the eye a little and gave it a bit of a sharpen.

dsc2257copy1cc2.jpg

thanks. i think you're right about the shadow under the eye CT, but now it looks a little blurred. i guess you'd need to do it on the full size version - i'll have a go.

was taken at 1/400 f8 using my sigma 70-300 APO @ 70mm as i was taking sufing pics too :)

Yeah it was a bit of a rush job, I fixed the eye now. If you use the original file Noah, try first adjusting the histogram to get a bit more control of the highlights. They're perfectly acceptable anyway, as it's a strongly back lit shot, but the shot is worth playing with to see if you can improve on the levels before you start.

The shot is definitely worth framing so make a good job of it.:) I'd lose those foreground rocks, but it's up to you. I'll happily sort it out for you if you send me the original file, but I'm sure you can do it. :thumb:

Good candid shot!

Whenever I try those with my g/f she always makes me delete them, on pain of death!

Would like to see the final edit also.

its a very good shot indeed, very impressed!

Very natural looking shot and pose. CT's quick reworking improves the shot and makes it stronger both in composition and direction, removing some of the distractions from her back. She has a friendly face and that warms the picture up nicely. I am curious, what does she think of the photo?

im gonna have a go at this one again tomorrow i think, and do the improvements ct suggested.

she doesnt like it, she says her head looks too big in it!

noah said:
snip..she doesnt like it, she says her head looks too big in it!

It's always the case mate, no matter how good they look in photos they always find something wrong with it. Everyone here could say how good she looks but she still wouldn't believe it. ;)

I agree it is worth the effort. :)

Photographing women is bad news. If they don't look like a goddess they'll never forgive you. I think it's a really nice natural shot.

I really like this one, a natural beauty. Has a kind of "I know what your thinking and No you can't" look about her smile, lol.

I like the crop CT has done, I'd be tempted to remove the hair on the lip before fixing the shadows on the eye.

Nice shot, definatley one for a frame beside the bed. (yours, not mine)

Liberalis said:
I really like this one, a natural beauty. Has a kind of "I know what your thinking and No you can't" look about her smile, lol.

I like the crop CT has done, I'd be tempted to remove the hair on the lip before fixing the shadows on the eye.

Nice shot, definatley one for a frame beside the bed. (yours, not mine)

that made me go back up and check the piccy for a 'tash on the poor girl!

Must read slower...:whistling

lol, she's (steph to give her a name!) just popped up to visit me for the weekend and read the last few posts, you shouldve seen her face when she thought she had a tash!!

thanks for all the comments guys, i had a little go at it this evening taking into account your comments CT, and removing said hair from the lip and cheek. this is my effort.

dsc2257copyedit4mi.jpg

Loads better dude.

I think it's the small stuff that has the most impact, at least, that's what I tell my g/f! ;)

now all you've gotta do is get it printed LARGE format! (48" x 36"!)

Great shot. I can't even get my wife to look at the camera, she hates having her pic taken :nono:

weeman said:
Great shot. I can't even get my wife to look at the camera, she hates having her pic taken :nono:

Do what I do, take enough pictures of the back, and it may spur her on to turning around, if only to hide her backside :D
(Worked with my wife)

Thats much better and I am sure after this thread that you now agree that getting the photography right is only half the battle. ;)

Now go get it printed properly and display it with pride :)

Steve said:
Thats much better and I am sure after this thread that you now agree that getting the photography right is only half the battle. ;)

yeah, for sure!

thanks for all the comments and help on this one guys, im def very pleased with the final result :)

Back