Portraits (Fighting bright sunshine)

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

A quick question which I am hoping creates a bit of discussion.

With the summer upon us and the sunshine out (hopefully) we all have to fight with the sun for portraits. So how do you do it?

3 Scenarios, all in an area of no shade so for arguments sake an open field.

1) Just a camera I have read conflicting methods of shooting with sun behind the subject, in front of the subject or to the side.

2) Camera and reflector. Once again, its whether to use the reflector to fill the shadowed side of the face or have the sun behind the subject and use the reflector to fill the whole face.

3) Camera and flash (either off or on camera) This is where I usually use flash on camera for fill (TTL-BL on my SB600)......?

I understand different methods suit for different shoots but I'm just after clean well exposed pictures then I can go from there. A healthy discussion would be beneficial to me, gonna get out and try different methods in the coming weeks and any tips and tricks I pick up here can only help....

Dan

Last edited:
Hi. I'd avoid shooting in bright sun. For contra jour, you will probably need fill-in flash. Using a silver reflector just blinds the subject with reflected sun, try a white reflector. Otherwise, use a diffuser.

Photodiva said:
Hi. I'd avoid shooting in bright sun. For contra jour, you will probably need fill-in flash. Using a silver reflector just blinds the subject with reflected sun, try a white reflector. Otherwise, use a diffuser.

I would love to always be able to shoot on a bright yet overcast day however you're dealt with what you have each day.

Good point regarding white over silver reflector.

Cheers

I have in the past used a BIG black reflector to create some shade & then used flash (on or off camera) to fill, TBH I think its one of those situautions when you just have to try things to see what best suits location, subject, height/position of sun etc.

I have in the past used a BIG black reflector to create some shade & then used flash (on or off camera) to fill, TBH I think its one of those situautions when you just have to try things to see what best suits location, subject, height/position of sun etc.

Yep defo one of those situations you decide with each scenario.

Had a few goes this weekend and think my best results were having the subject backlit, exposing for the sky and then using fill flash for the subject.

You can use the bright sky as a backdrop....

Just throw in some flash, the flash might need to be turned up high and TTL may struggle but there is no reason to shy away from strong sunlight at all..!

If you can't find open shade you have a couple of options.

Put the sun behind your subjects so their faces are in open shade, expose for your subject and let the background blowout. This can actually look fine, best to have something other than sky behind them if you don't want a white background.

Or you stop down the lens to expose correctly for the sky/background, subjects still have backs to the sun, use flash to bring subject up to correct exposure. Need a powerful flash for this to work well, high speed sync can work sometimes for fill but you probably wont get the bg down as much if its really bright.

Or use a reflector to bounce some light in, you dont get the limitation of flash because its continuos light, you can stop down and still let in enough ambient. Subject still has back to the sun.

Or use a scrim to cut the amount of light falling on your subject, a pop out diffuser works well, you might need an assistant to hold it and you need a bigger diffuser of course for more people in your shot.

Or face your subject into the sun, not a good idea for most people, they will squint and the harsh shadows are unflattering, you might get away with it with a model who can take that light and who can stop squinting long enough to get the shots, but not a method I would try too often.

If you can't find open shade you have a couple of options.

Put the sun behind your subjects so their faces are in open shade, expose for your subject and let the background blowout. This can actually look fine, best to have something other than sky behind them if you don't want a white background.

Or you stop down the lens to expose correctly for the sky/background, subjects still have backs to the sun, use flash to bring subject up to correct exposure. Need a powerful flash for this to work well, high speed sync can work sometimes for fill but you probably wont get the bg down as much if its really bright.

Or use a reflector to bounce some light in, you dont get the limitation of flash because its continuos light, you can stop down and still let in enough ambient. Subject still has back to the sun.

Or use a scrim to cut the amount of light falling on your subject, a pop out diffuser works well, you might need an assistant to hold it and you need a bigger diffuser of course for more people in your shot.

Or face your subject into the sun, not a good idea for most people, they will squint and the harsh shadows are unflattering, you might get away with it with a model who can take that light and who can stop squinting long enough to get the shots, but not a method I would try too often.

Cheers Lensflair, exactly the sort of reply I was looking for. Sorry for the delay in replying.

Thanks.

Back