Poses

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone help with a useful resource for poses? Particularly when the subject thinks she's overweight and extremely shy. I've known her for a long while and I really struggled to find anything she was happy with. I know it's a confidence thing on her part, but I'd really like to find a way of getting a shot that she's half happy with. For the record she isn't overweight, bit is tall and fairly broad shouldered

Can anyone help with a useful resource for poses? Particularly when the subject thinks she's overweight and extremely shy. I've known her for a long while and I really struggled to find anything she was happy with. I know it's a confidence thing on her part, but I'd really like to find a way of getting a shot that she's half happy with. For the record she isn't overweight, bit is tall and fairly broad shouldered

Hi Nick

Try here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=portrait+poses+for+women

Les :)

Just to add to the online resources, some simple tips that will help as a starting point.

the closest thing to the camera looks bigger, even with telephoto lenses, if a subject points a hip, breast or shoulder at the camera it will increase in size.

the other thing about big shoulders, boobs or bums is that wardrobe plays an important part, eg a dress with a wide shoulder line that cuts across will make wide shoulders appear smaller, or adding a wrap over the shoulders.

Lots of things help as mentioned above, I'd add in short-lighting and the simple 'turn the body away from the light source and the head back towards it', but if she really has a poor self-image just don't be shocked if your great images don't cure it

I've had stunning slim brides in perfectly matched dresses with hair & make-up done really well not like themselves in their photos :(

Sometimes you just can't win

Dave

Clothing with Vertical stripes is better than horizontal too.

What about some poses like your avatar where she can feel "shielded" from the camera? You could use other props to achieve the same thing, sort of along the lines of the early erotic dancers who used feathers or fans to hide their modesty...

Hello Nick,

Make a virtue of her weight, trying hide it is a waste of time.
Look at some history of the subject start with photographer Jan Saudek a bit over the top but the best way to get into a subject is to look at the work of others.
You cannot copy it because you have your model and your backgrounds, but it will give you and your model some ideas to try.
Photography is an adventure, not the Bland leading the Bland.

An obvious start is the sideways pose looking over her shoulder.

Cheers - P

Google search link

Last edited:
Back