Possible light leak??

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
No
I have a Rolleicord Va and on a few roles I've noticed that the edges are very light, an opposite vingette. Its not on every roll so I'm not sure if its the camera of the film. I've not done anything differently to how I've loaded and handled all the other 120 film in the other 120 cameras I've had and I've not seen it before. The only other thing I think it could be is how I now scan the film. I use a macro lens with the film on a light table, maybe there is light 'leaking in' when I'm scanning??

Anyway excuse the dirty photo, its the only one I had to hand!
_DSC1375-positive.jpg by benjohns4 johns, on Flickrrc="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just checked the actual negative and the edges are dark so its not something thats happening while scanning. Both rolls of HP5 that I shot that day have the same dark edges. I would have loaded the film outside so maybe its because of that? Hoping its not the camera

Last edited:
Seeing as the lightness is on both sides, I would suspect that the back of the Rolleicord is not fitting quite as it should. If Rollei used foam light seals (they were German so I doubt they did), the seals might need replacing.

Last edited:
Seeing as the lightness is on both sides, I would suspect that the back of the Rolleicord is not fitting quite as it should. If Rollei used foam light seals (they were German so I doubt they did), the seals might need replacing.
I dont remember seeing seals, I have a roll of film in the camera at the moment so I cant check. I have sacrificed a frame and shone the touch on my iphone all around the camera to see if I can make that single frame so a stronger leak than others.

Is it possible that this has occurred when the film was wound up on the spool, and the dark paper was not tight enough to form a proper light seal? it seems pretty uniform along each side...
I'm hoping its that. I have noticed that it is looser than other 120 cameras I've used, 645j and a RB67, I never saw this issue on those. The fact that I havent seen it on all the rolls I've shot on it either means the seals have just started to go (if there are any) or its the film

Im now pretty sure the camera has a light leak. I just scanned a roll from a while ago and the leaks appear to be pretty identical to a photo I took a few months after. Unless I'm doing something wrong with the film then it has to be camera. I just cant really see what I'm doing wrong. I shield the camera from light as much as possible when loading outside and try to make sure its tight. The only thing I can think of doing is to shoot 6 shots on a roll then tape the camera up and shoot the other 6 and see if theres a difference.
_DSC1407-positive.jpg by benjohns4 johns, on Flickr
_DSC1375-positive.jpg by benjohns4 johns, on Flickr
To me the leaks look the pretty similar so either I'm messing up in the same way every time or its the camera

It looks similar to, but perhaps a little more severe, to the light leak I have with my Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex. Here is an image I took recently:

MF001 007 small.jpg

You can probably see that the sides are lighter than they should be, just like yours.

In my camera, there are seals in velvet, all round the inside surface of the outer edge of the back. The velvet is quite crushed (as might be expected after 65 years). My next steps are:
i) Leave the back open for a while, and try to fluff up the velvet a bit
ii) I noticed there was a little play in the back when closed, so I shall try and find a stout rubber band to hold the back more firmly closed

I am reluctant to try anything too extreme just yet - like replacing the seals or trying to cinch up the catch - for fear of making a small problem worse.

I found that Lightroom vignetting (Effects) was quite effective at covering up my light leak, though I am sure there are much better tools.

Yes they do look similar. Whats strange is as far as I know Rolleicords dont have any velvet/foam seals, their design should keep them light tight. I replaced the focusing screen and had it serviced but the colour photo was taken before then so that hasnt caused it. Whats also strange is the same week as the colour photo was taken I also took a roll of RPX 25 to the beach and loaded it under harsh light, including a roll of FP4 and they have no light leak, or at least its no slight you cant see it, nothing like the colour photo. Because of that I'm still hoping that its how I'm loading and storing the film. I am still going to tape up the camera half way through a roll to see if the leak stops but fingers crossed!

Best of luck with the detective work, but in the meantime look on the bright side; people would pay a fortune for a Lomo colour film that produced results like that! So just bung that shot on Instagram and enjoy the adulation! ;)

Best of luck with the detective work, but in the meantime look on the bright side; people would pay a fortune for a Lomo colour film that produced results like that! So just bung that shot on Instagram and enjoy the adulation! ;)
I have 2 rolls of fomapan to play with, 1 is already in the camera so if the light leaks are still there after taping up the camera I will load and unload the next roll in total darkness and see what happens. Hopefully its user error!
I know! I dont understand it myself! Its the first roll of Pro 400 Ive used, impressed with the sharpness!

Well I'm pretty sure the camera has no light leaks. I've yet to develop the first test roll but I opened up the taking lens to its widest apeture, held the shutter open with bulb mode, held my eye up to the lens and moved a torch around the edges of the back and there was no light at all. I did notice however that the test roll wasnt rolled very tightly when I took it out of the camera, wondering if that might be the issue

Well I'm pretty sure the camera has no light leaks. I've yet to develop the first test roll but I opened up the taking lens to its widest apeture, held the shutter open with bulb mode, held my eye up to the lens and moved a torch around the edges of the back and there was no light at all. I did notice however that the test roll wasnt rolled very tightly when I took it out of the camera, wondering if that might be the issue
It could be that, perhaps try another test film, unloading it in a changing bag and loading it straight into the developing tank to test the theory?

It could be that, perhaps try another test film, unloading it in a changing bag and loading it straight into the developing tank to test the theory?
Thats what I'll do with the second roll. The first one was so loose that the taping of the sides was probably a waste of time but who knows.

well I'm puzzled now. Just developed the first roll and there doesnt appear to be any light leaks! I loaded the roll outside sitting on a bench, didnt pay too much mind to the light I loaded it in. Strange

Space aliens... it has to be! ;) Joking aside, does the camera perhaps have a 'tensioning issue' with certain makes of film when it's winding onto the spool? If so, I'm sure you'll find out next time you try that make of film again. :oops: :$

I've learned to not fully wind on the completed roll in my Yashica Mat. I leave some tension in the film until I'm ready to remove it. Otherwise, I've found, it can unravel slightly if left in the camera for a while - just enough to let some stray light inside the backing paper when the back is opened. I don't think it happens all the time, and it might just be if the camera is jostling about in the camera bag while I'm moving around, but better safe than sorry.

Space aliens... it has to be! ;) Joking aside, does the camera perhaps have a 'tensioning issue' with certain makes of film when it's winding onto the spool? If so, I'm sure you'll find out next time you try that make of film again. :oops: :$
Its possible, its just strange how it seems to be hit and miss based on the rolls back in August and then it was on 3 rolls of HP5 in October but not on a roll of Veliva 50 in the same week! Main thing is it doesnt seem to be a light leak, worst case for the time being I will have to unload film in a changing back untill Ive figured it out

I've learned to not fully wind on the completed roll in my Yashica Mat. I leave some tension in the film until I'm ready to remove it. Otherwise, I've found, it can unravel slightly if left in the camera for a while - just enough to let some stray light inside the backing paper when the back is opened. I don't think it happens all the time, and it might just be if the camera is jostling about in the camera bag while I'm moving around, but better safe than sorry.
How do you know that youve wound on the last frame enough?

Look at the negative and if the neg has the shadows at the part of the film that was external to the center of the spool but not at the part of the neg internal to the centre of the spool, then the film was not wound tight on the spool.

If the dark edge is all the way along the sides of the neg evenly then it points to the camera leaking light.

How do you know that youve wound on the last frame enough?

When I shoot frame #12 I wind the film on a couple of turns - enough to keep the remaining backing paper attached to the loading spool. Then, when I'm ready to remove the film, I wind it the rest of the way and then open the camera to remove it. It means the film is taut on the take up spool until the last minute and it's extremely unlikely to loosen itself in the few seconds between completing the winding and then removing it.

Look at the negative and if the neg has the shadows at the part of the film that was external to the center of the spool but not at the part of the neg internal to the centre of the spool, then the film was not wound tight on the spool.

If the dark edge is all the way along the sides of the neg evenly then it points to the camera leaking light.
That is how it looks on the negatives but I dont understand why it appears on a roll that was taken in the evening when the light was low but not on a roll in the middle of the day in bright light

That is how it looks on the negatives but I dont understand why it appears on a roll that was taken in the evening when the light was low but not on a roll in the middle of the day in bright light
A major factor is the time between shots. If, on a bright day, you take a shot, wind on, take another and wind on, there is very little time for light to leak in. If, in poor light, you take a shot, wind on, walk for ten minutes, take another shot, wind on, there is much more time for light to leak in even though there is less light about.

A major factor is the time between shots. If, on a bright day, you take a shot, wind on, take another and wind on, there is very little time for light to leak in. If, in poor light, you take a shot, wind on, walk for ten minutes, take another shot, wind on, there is much more time for light to leak in even though there is less light about.
I suppose that makes sense, I dont really remember how long was between in photo. I only have one frame left on the second roll in the camera so I might try to induce a light leak, shine a torch around the edges and see what happens.

If the issue is the film not being wound tightly enough to prevent edge fogging, then the amount if light would depend more on how quickly you were taking out the film and making sure that the backing paper was tightly wrapped before sealing. In terms of exposure, the aperture would be f/0.5 and the shutter speed however many seconds the operation took after opening the back. I would expect that if this were the issue, the last frames would be the worst affected.

If the issue is the film not being wound tightly enough to prevent edge fogging, then the amount if light would depend more on how quickly you were taking out the film and making sure that the backing paper was tightly wrapped before sealing. In terms of exposure, the aperture would be f/0.5 and the shutter speed however many seconds the operation took after opening the back. I would expect that if this were the issue, the last frames would be the worst affected.
Its strange because its not consistent. I loaded a roll of fomapan a few days ago outside and took some photos. Then I taped up the edges of the camera and shot the rest. None of the photos have any leak, looking at the negatives anyway, I havent scanned them yet, on the HP5 rolls you can see the light without scanning.

_DSC0966-positive-Edit.jpg by benjohns4 johns, on Flickr
This was taken the same week as the colour photo with the leaks, a few days after actually, and there are no leaks as far as I can see. That makes me think its not the camera but I could be wrong. As I said earlier I did try to shine a light around the edges while looking through the open lens, probably not the best test but the only one I can think of. I loaded the current roll thats in the camera in a changing bag. Couldnt be in total darkness as I had to line up the arrows on the paper backing but it would have been a lot darker than usual. I'm going to unload it inside the bag and put it straight into the developing tank, shall see what happens

I'm now pretty sure its user error. Either the way the rolls were stored after being unloaded or not making sure the roll is tight when taking it out of the camera (which could also be the cameras fault I suppose). The last roll I developed had no light leaks. I even left a frame blank to really highlight any light and left a torch shining on the edges for 10 minutes and nothing has shown up

Back