Potential new camera!

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, my first post having just joined the forum.

ive been around photography for many years, but wouldn’t class myself as anything more than a keen amateur, although I’ve left the hobby alone for a number of years after having children (well my wife did that bit), my last kit comprised of a Canon 10d, 100-400 is and a 17-40 both L series. I was heavily into wildlife photography which culminated in having earned a few cheques threw my door from a London stock photo agency!
so background out the way and onto present day!

I spend a lot of time around race cars, my dog and family, so would be looking for a camera suitable.

ive lusted after a Leica for many years but cost was a factor, I’m now in a position to consider a purchase and have today found a Leica CL for sale 2nd hand but in pristine condition (I’m told the previous owner was a collector) it really is spotless, after a little bartering I can obtain the camera for £1575, along with a 6 month warranty and it’s from a mainstream high street outlet.Sadly no lens available to either demo the camera or purchase with it.
from my research it seems a respectable camera however I can purchase it new for just £700 more, so first question,

is this a a good offer or should I buy new?

2nd question from what I’ve researched the CL produces good results, is there a better option (Leica) for my purposes ?

any other advice appreciated!

rgds Lee

If manual focus is an option you might consider the M240 ('Leica M Type 240'), the model before the current M10. It's a digital version of the classic film M rangefinders, and takes the same lenses. Secondhand bodies start at about £2200.

That’s great thank you for the information. i have now found a 18-56 Aspherical lens available in another well known London camera shop for the going rate! Just a little concerned about not being able to demonstrate the camera in the shop, although it is covered by a warranty.

i know Leica’s are very good and have studied many pictures taken with them, I’d just like to take a picture with this camera and study it before I part with my hard earned money!

(just me being nervous)?

That’s great thank you for the information. i have now found a 18-56 Aspherical lens available in another well known London camera shop for the going rate! Just a little concerned about not being able to demonstrate the camera in the shop, although it is covered by a warranty.

i know Leica’s are very good and have studied many pictures taken with them, I’d just like to take a picture with this camera and study it before I part with my hard earned money!

(just me being nervous)?
Not sure how much help it would be looking at one picture but original files are available on the web (probably fewer than most camera) eg
https://www.dpreview.com/samples/2910218710/leica-cl-first-sample-images
https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/leica_cl_review/sample_images
and you will find photos (mostly undownloadable) on Flickr, where there are also several Leica CL digital groups.

Last edited:
After a couple of frustrating experiences buying used cameras and both having hundreds of spots on the sensors (suspected laser damage apparently) I’d buy brand new. In my case the dealer did their very best to put things right but after that I’d only buy second hand lenses which I’ve never had any issues with

I took the plunge, I’ve been lusting after a Leica for years. Came upon this CL in a high street outlet that was in impeccable condition and allegedly previously owned by a collector! So after a few chats with some nice people at park cameras who had a 18-55 Leica lens 2nd hand, I bought the camera and ordered the lens, I received the lens today and have taken some test shots.
my last dealings with what I thought was a good camera was my Canon D10 partnered with a 100-400 USM and an 18-40L lens. After learning to use the kit I’d managed to get to a level of competence so that I built up a library of thousands of pictures (mainly focusing on wildlife), some of which have sold threw Alamy!

alas, I’ve been out of the game for many years and wondered how difficult it would be to return? But seeing the quality this little CL can produce with barely any setup is amazing.

what a fantastic piece of kit.

going to test it out starting tomorrow with a road trip to the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart and some Christmas markets, hopefully I’ll manage some nice pictures along the way.

Lee.

Back