Critique Poundland Film - results on a sunny day

Name
Amanda Herbert
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I took a punt with the Poundland Film and only just got the results back. The carnival was on a bright, sunny day and the results are great. I also used it indoors and the skin tones are horrid.

Sharing for fun. Full set on flickr.

Ryde Carnival | Isle of Wight by M@ndy, on Flickr

Seeing how over exposure renders

Purposely over exposed as he was mainly in shadows

Film is daylight balanced so indoor lighting isn't great without a filter to remove the yellow cast from normal domestic indoor lighting or some PP later. I think Fuji Superia has a special layer to deal with indoor lighting so it doesn't have so much of that colour cast.

Film is daylight balanced so indoor lighting isn't great without a filter to remove the yellow cast from normal domestic indoor lighting or some PP later. I think Fuji Superia has a special layer to deal with indoor lighting so it doesn't have so much of that colour cast.
Doh - I have a yellow filter. I'll try that next time. Thanks, Mandy

The issue with indoor lighting is probably one of the reasons black and white film is so popular for portraits :)

Doh - I have a yellow filter. I'll try that next time. Thanks, Mandy
The indoor shots look good in a "definitely shot on film" way.
The type of indoor lighting will decide what filter you need. You'll need a blue filter for "normal" warm indoor lights to counteract the warm lights and, iirc, a purple-ish filter if the lights are flourescent tubes.
You might get lucky in a bargain bin somewhere and find some Cokins that need a home ;)

The indoor shots look good in a "definitely shot on film" way.
The type of indoor lighting will decide what filter you need. You'll need a blue filter for "normal" warm indoor lights to counteract the warm lights and, iirc, a purple-ish filter if the lights are flourescent tubes.
You might get lucky in a bargain bin somewhere and find some Cokins that need a home ;)
Thanks, I only had natural light - but I probably needed a higher ASA! All good learning points, Mandy

Back