Power supply

Name
gerry
Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking for a power bank to run my Canon 5Dmkiii,dew heater and a Skywatcher tracker .
I have been thinking about using a car jump pack the mini one. You can get them with 4 usb outputs laptop power supply and some even had led's that can produce a red colour .
Any thoughts please.

Gerry

Google power bank for telescopes and you'll find units specifically designed for what you want made by Celestron, Skywatcher etc. Some of them are not cheap, especially the lithium ones, which are probably a bit overkill for you, but good jump starters are pricey too. Maybe contact one of the UK astronomy shops and ask their advice? They're a friendly and very knowledgable bunch.

I have looked at a dedicated portable power supply..
The problem is they only output 5v 1.5 amps where I will need 5 v 2.1 amp as a minimum.
One of the reasons I am thinking to go the mini boost pack is the ones I have about 2.1. to 2.5 amps supply .it is also more portable to carry around as well also not the worry about lead acid maintenance.

When I was doing astro in the US I had a deep cycle marine battery that I put in a plastic box designed for it. I then ran a number of connections off that, each one fused.

However, they are large and heavy and benefit from a trickle charger but I could run the laptop, the mount, the dewbuster and a small 12v kettle from it. :)

The mini boost pack sounds like a good option from what you have said.

Thinking a bit laterally, maybe a motorcycle LiIon battery and a suitable USB adaptor would do the job.

Back