Powered USB Hub Recommendations

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
I am looking for recommendations for a USB powered hub that isn't an Anker one.

I've had 2 now from Amazon and both have just stopped working. The first after a year, the second after 4 months. Annoyed to discover that my only option is to ring their helpline and go through the "try a different cable", "turn it off and on again", "reinstall your OS" rigmarole. It only has a 30 day warranty.

I just want something reliable. 4 ports will do, not USB C.

Anyone got anything they are happy with?

I got one off ebay that was cheap and I think 5 or 7 ports, has a power switch for each port, hasn't got a name, but is still working!
If of any interest I will try and find it and see if the same ones are still for sale.

I don't know if the 30 day warranty is enforceable, I though consumer laws gave better protection than that?

It only has a 30 day warranty.
No it doesn't ... it has a 30-day return period but Amazon cannot ignore your rights as a consumer.
I had an issue a while back and was told my '30-days return' was up so I asked the rep to tell me where in UK consumer law it says I had only 30 days to report a faulty product ... I had a return slip within minutes and a refund after posting.
I can't believe how many people leave reviews about not being able to return faulty goods to Amazon "because the 30 days are up"!

No it doesn't ... it has a 30-day return period but Amazon cannot ignore your rights as a consumer.
I had an issue a while back and was told my '30-days return' was up so I asked the rep to tell me where in UK consumer law it says I had only 30 days to report a faulty product ... I had a return slip within minutes and a refund after posting.
I can't believe how many people leave reviews about not being able to return faulty goods to Amazon "because the 30 days are up"!
How were you told? I'm going round in circles with the Amazon chat bot which is telling me I can't do anything as it's over 30 days and that I have to contact the manufacturer. [Un]happy to do this, but if there's a quicker route, I'm all ears.

How were you told? I'm going round in circles with the Amazon chat bot which is telling me I can't do anything as it's over 30 days and that I have to contact the manufacturer. [Un]happy to do this, but if there's a quicker route, I'm all ears.
Your contract is with Amazon not the Manufacturer.

However, reading the reviews a lot of the 3rd party suppliers/manufacturers seem to post out replacements following complaints.

There is a facility to get a rep to call you back, select that option. From memory I think you can do that from the bot - type in ‘speak to someone’ or something similar. Don’t be fobbed off!

It only has a 30 day warranty.
No, by law it has at least a one year warranty with the supplier i.e. Amazon. 30 days is just the no quibble return period. I agree Amazon makes it as difficult as possible to make warranty claims but follow the advice already given and you should get there.

No, by law it has at least a one year warranty with the supplier i.e. Amazon. 30 days is just the no quibble return period. I agree Amazon makes it as difficult as possible to make warranty claims but follow the advice already given and you should get there.

That's not true at all. UK law does not force any guarantee period whatsoever, however if the fault occurs within the first 6 months the burden is on the seller to prove that the fault is not inherent. After 6 months the burden of proof is with the buyer to prove inherent fault.

Of course you have other statutory rights that says an item should last a reasonable amount of time. How long that is for a USB hub is for a court to decide.

To the OP, as the product is only 4 months old then Amazon can not fob you off with a 30 days return. That 30 days return is only if you change your mind.

Last edited:
On the other hand you have up to 6 years to claim. It all depends. Best exposition of UK that I’ve seen is Apple’s (they used to be really bad but then researched I think) :

You do but that does not mean you have a 6 year guarantee. You would a) need to prove inherent fault or b) expect the goods to reasonably last 6 years. Whilst you would expect a £2k Mac to last 5-6 years would it be reasonable to expect a £30-£40 USB hub to last that long.

Last edited:
Did Amazon sell it or was it via Amazon Marketplace? Your contract is with the seller whoever that was.

Thanks for all the really helpful replies folks.

Refund/Replacement aside, does anyone have a suggestion for something I can replace it with that's not made by Anker?

Back