Beginner Praktica TL3

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all need some advice I've got a the above camera working and I've put a film in

When looking through the lens on the right side I have the following _ 0 + and a line that moves when I press what I think is the exposure button

Am I right in thinking that I should aim to get the line though the 0 for the right exposure?

Thanks I've downloaded it

Hi all need some advice I've got a the above camera working and I've put a film in

When looking through the lens on the right side I have the following _ 0 + and a line that moves when I press what I think is the exposure button

Am I right in thinking that I should aim to get the line though the 0 for the right exposure?
yep spot on (y)

Yes you are right, but check the meter is roughly accurate compared to say a digi camera.....The TL3 is quite good esp as it takes different makes of screw lenses (M42) but loading the film can be annoying (well for me) compared to other cameras.
Nothing much more to add as it's a simple camera to use...happy shooting.

Thanks everyone I've found a number of old 35mm camera's to try out this is the first, next will be BX20 then the 2 Canon's ones I will need to get the Vivitar XV-2 cleaned

the lens on it is a Carl Zeiss Jena 2.4/35MC I'm assuming its a 35mm?lens

Pretty sure that all M42 screw mount lenses are FF suitable, although there were some enlargers that accepted them so possibly enlarger only lenses might exist. They'll probably be FF suitable anyway.

Pretty sure that all M42 screw mount lenses are FF suitable, although there were some enlargers that accepted them so possibly enlarger only lenses might exist. They'll probably be FF suitable anyway.

IIRC lenses for enlargers (well older ones) were Leica i.e. M39 although I have bought a M39 to M42 adapter but haven't used it yet.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone I've found a number of old 35mm camera's to try out this is the first, next will be BX20 then the 2 Canon's ones I will need to get the Vivitar XV-2 cleaned

Well you are lucky with your cameras as you can get cheap adapters that can take screw lenses other than their own ones that is if you don't have lenses for them.

Hi Brian all the other camera's all have a lens on them apart from the Vivitar which was my first camera I got way back in 1980 only just found it again when cleaning out parents house. That has 3 lens in the kit

Hi Brian all the other camera's all have a lens on them apart from the Vivitar which was my first camera I got way back in 1980 only just found it again when cleaning out parents house. That has 3 lens in the kit

Great John away you go and you will find what camera and lens combo you like........just one thing is:- with old cameras not used is the light trap foam could have deteriorated and of course you get light leaks...so test the cameras out with Poundland Agfa Vista and if possible find an Asda that will dev and scan to a CD (no photos) for £3.
If any leaks no problem easy to fix and plenty of guys here will tell you what to do.

Got some rolls from poundland and the local asda still developed film once my laptop is fix i'll post some photos

Nice! I don't use much 35mm film but when I do it's usually in the BX20 I bought to replace the broken one that my dad gave to me a few years ago (wasn't broken when he gave it to me, obviously). It's a cracking camera :)

Got some rolls from poundland and the local asda still developed film once my laptop is fix i'll post some photos

BTW you could test all three (or two) cameras on one roll of film.....for a camera I pickup I do the usual checks but don't do a final working check in bright sunlight by using a complete roll of film.....saves using two more films plus dev costs if you want to save money.

Brian how do you use 1 film in more then 1camera?

Load film in camera 1.

Take a few shots.

Note frame number.

Rewind, leaving the tab out.

Remove and load into camera 2.

With lens cap on and a fast shutter speed, take shots until at previous frame. Perhaps go 1 extra for wriggle room.

What Simon said but would just add:- to make sure no light ruins your shots on the first (or 2nd camera) camera would also select min aperture as well as fastest shutter speed and cover viewfinder (just hold it against your body) and I also cover the lens cap with my hand (belt and braces ;)).......when testing ensure the sun is on different parts of the camera while taking shots and of course you can select different shutter speeds or apertures and auto if you have it.
Any problems and we enjoy solving them here(y)

Last edited:
Back