Pretty Flower :-) Awwww

Edit My Images
No
Hey folks :)

I've been really enjoying all the photo's posted here since I joined, but I'll admit to being a bit unsure as to weather I should post myself due to the quality of results I'm getting and the high quality of results I see here every day!. Because of this I've prefered to pick up as many hints and tips as possible to apply to my picture taking technique and then I'll try them all out on you guys lol :thumb:

Anyway, here's one of the few that I'm pretty happy with. I shot this over the summer (end of July) using the Canon EOS-350D and Tamron lens just after I purchased them.

The flower itself is planted in a wall pot which is hung on a white wall, which explains the background.

This is my first picture up for critique, any comments welcome, I'm just looking to get better.

43621953-L.jpg

Very good shot - I really like the simplicity of it. I think you could maybe clone out the bud at the bottom left, cleanup some of the white marks on the flower and put a nice simple border around it to help show it off.

Mark

Agree about losing the bud btm left. I don't have a problem with the natural debris.

I'm putting some books about seeing creatively in photography on my xmas list. There are many things my engineering brain cannot comprehend. Putting frames round every picture and so many b/w conversions are particular things I just don't get. Hmm I'm rambling :coat:

v nice, but i would crop to a more 'normal' size, 800x800 square is a bit odd for me

I'd hang that on my wall if you cloned out the bottom left bud and cloned out the white spots. Absolutley beautiful. Dunno why you're so shy about posting, you've nothing to be ashamed of.

Lol, No mate, I'm sorry... I sent the link to my girlfriend just so she could have a read, and she decided to take it upon herself to comment that she likes it with the bud left in, she feels it's better composition...

...the problem is she and I didn't realise she was signed in under my name :shock:

I like what you did with it, I'm personally still 50/50 as to weather I should keep the bud as it does fill in some empty space, but then it does look cleaner without it :ponders: and you did a great job removing the spots from the flower :thumb:

Everyone please feel free to modify as you see fit, the girlfriend has been told off and will not be stealing my I.D again!!! :annoyed: :D

Thanks for everyone's feedback so far, greatly appreciated!!

ahh, think I see what happened now. I was processing anfd typing my reply whilst you and you're g/f were merrily typing away!

CROSS POSTING MAYHEM ALERT!

No worries dude. You'd have to be 'kin offensive to penetrate my rhino type skin!

gandhi said:
ahh, think I see what happened now. I was processing anfd typing my reply whilst you and you're g/f were merrily typing away!

CROSS POSTING MAYHEM ALERT!

LOL... that was pretty much it. She gets a bit defensive of me... Gotta love her really :D

Anyway, back on topic... Did you do any extra sharpening on it, it looks slightly sharper, there seems to be a bit more detail e.g I notice the dust a bit more inside the flower.

That's nice. Without the bud for me please Mrs Sonsey. :)

Don't go improving too quickly now -there's enough competition around here as it is. ;)

Sonsey said:
LOL... that was pretty much it. She gets a bit defensive of me... Gotta love her really :D

Anyway, back on topic... Did you do any extra sharpening on it, it looks slightly sharper, there seems to be a bit more detail e.g I notice the dust a bit more inside the flower.

That's G/f's for you. Mines the same. I've learnt to keep her away from auntie stella, otherwise all SORTS of mayhem ensues!

I've been following Bachs tutorial on sharpening using the high pass filter. If you wanna PM me your email adrress I'll mail you back the action I've made for it in PS. Might be helpful as a guide?

CT said:
Don't go improving too quickly now -there's enough competition around here as it is. ;)

LOL, thanks mate... unfortunately shots like this in my (rather short) photo taking history are few and far between, but I'm trying! (very trying as the g/f says :eyesup: )

Half the problem is seeing the finished photo when you are capturing the essence. As soon as I viewed your initial shot I visualised something different, the other half of that problem is then being able to take the first bit and make it into the second.

Some may like what I have done, some may well accuse me of manipulating the shot to be something that it isn't. Both are fair comments.

Anyway...something a little different but keping close to your original and offering a little foliage to balance the shot for your girlfriend ;)

43621953_L.jpg

Thinking along the same lines as Steve, a border finishes the photo off nicely.

sonsey.jpg

Sometimes a photo needs good presentation to show it of well. :thumb:

Steve said:
Anyway...something a little different but keping close to your original and offering a little foliage to balance the shot for your girlfriend ;)

You do realise your a marked man now, don't you?! :smoking: ;)

She's coming over to see me this weekend (she lives in London) so I'll try and keep the computer off over the next few days... for your sake :tonofbric :D

I like it mate, it's definately a different look, you have taken the "naturalness" out of it and replaced it with a more "arty" feel... very interesting, thanks for the effort.

Matt, I really like frames with drop shadows added to them, thanks for adding it to mine (not sure I like it added to the flower though). I think I'll do a search for frame "how to's" on the net and get to work on it. Cheers mate!

Well here's what I've ended up with, I went with the idea of removing the bottom left bud and I also removed the brown part of the top left bud as I was finding it quite distracting... all finished in a simple frame. I'm now very pleased with it, any last comments?

44982460-L.jpg

Much much better now. Maybe you just soften the edge of the leaves more where you removed the top flower so it appears to have the same DOF as the rest.

I would prefer a simpler frame and maybe dark grey rather than black but that comes down to personal preference.

If you compare that with the original you can see how much difference a bit of a tidy makes! Good work chap!

Sonsey..........I think it look great, and nicely finished off with the frame.

Going back to your orginal post, were you say you are unsure whether to post or not because of the high quality results you see here.

I like you have the same thoughts, but one thing i have noticed is by you posting your shot, i have learnt a great deal covering lots of different aspects.

Mike

I really like that, very minimalist but bold, nice one :thumb:

It is a massive improvement for very little actual change. :)

Two things though...and both of them are now personal so take them as you will.

The outer black line of the frame is far too thick and bold, it is dominating and taking away my attention from the subject. A simpler frame would possibly improve the picture, if you are adding a frame/border then its purpose is to enhance the image not detract from it.

With the flower in that orientation and the stem rising from the left hand side of the frame I now feel that there is too much free space on the right. It needs a small crop at least to balance it better.

As I said, much improved and my comments above are purely personal. :)

Thanks for the positive replies folks, much appreciated :)

Mike Aiken said:
Going back to your orginal post, were you say you are unsure whether to post or not because of the high quality results you see here.

I like you have the same thoughts, but one thing i have noticed is by you posting your shot, i have learnt a great deal covering lots of different aspects.

Yes Mike, for it's been a great learning experience, not just about my photography but also about the forum's themselves and the people here.

I guess that before I posted I just wanted to feel like I wasn't a complete novice and that I had the potential to take the odd good shot, that I at least showed some potential that would make it worth it for people to give me good advice here and not feel like they were wasting their time offering help.

I realise now that I was being a bit silly and that help will be given out at the level you need it, and without the condescending that sometimes goes with it on some other forums.

Now my only problem will be to try and reign myself back from posting everything I shoot :D ...get posting yourself Mike, it's a great experience sharing your work, especially when your helped to get the best out of it.

Back