print size help needed?

what are the image size in inches or cm if bigger than a3 then you may have to send them away, or print the images accross separate sheets using photoshop or equivalent.

one question how do you know that the image is taken at actual size. if you took them with your camera , i think it would depend on the max image size your camera will take.

cheers Steve.

when you take the photo the camera take an image a t the size set by the camera resolution. you may have to do some maths measure how far out the scale is and proint at a percentage of the image size.

Cheers Steve

How to work out reduction or enlargement amounts.

Two easy examples using 100mm and 200mm:
Reduction:
If you measure a length that you want to be 100mm but it is printing at 200mm you need reduce by 50%, here is how you work it out as obviusly not all reductions or enlargements will be as easy.

Using a calculator first enter the number you want to end up with (100), then divide that by the number you have (200) and press the % key, it should give you 50 which means 50%.

You can use the same for enlargements too, start with the figure you want (200) then divide by the figure you have (100) and press the % key, this time you should get 200 becaue the enlargement is 200%.

The above examples used 100mm and 200mm just to make it easy but it works with any sizes.

Dave

if you are getting prints done at asda/tesco/boots etc the machines apply 3% magnification - so it might be that....

really why would they do that, if you dont mind me asking.

Probably to ensure that there's no border on the print, in case the machine or paper isn't lined up exactly.

thanks Catdaddy - exactly!

One of the biggest users of exact size prints are the police forces - and many use a £15,000 software suite to render their files (and much more beside) - and its killer feature is an exact size module....

One way to get things exact is to make a print of something with a given size - then measure its size as the print. SO if you have something that measures 200mm on a 10x8 print and in the print its 208mm you'll have to resize it by 200/208 - so it ends up 192mm in the file....

This magnification causes issues on some album designs - if there are multiple images on the sheet that have to line up with apertures in the overlay.... - and also if you are adding text - as if you put it too close to the edge it will get cut off.....

If you are printing with an inkjet printer there is often little or no magnification issues...

thanks Catdaddy - exactly!

One of the biggest users of exact size prints are the police forces - and many use a £15,000 software suite to render their files (and much more beside) - and its killer feature is an exact size module....

One way to get things exact is to make a print of something with a given size - then measure its size as the print. SO if you have something that measures 200mm on a 10x8 print and in the print its 208mm you'll have to resize it by 200/208 - so it ends up 192mm in the file....

This magnification causes issues on some album designs - if there are multiple images on the sheet that have to line up with apertures in the overlay.... - and also if you are adding text - as if you put it too close to the edge it will get cut off.....

If you are printing with an inkjet printer there is often little or no magnification issues...

thanks for the help...I'll think I'll fork out for the £15000 software :LOL: mark....

Don't forget to mention my name - the commission will be handy! ;-)

Back