Printer and Monitor matching

Name
Ron
Edit My Images
No
Hi
Just joined up. Trying to teach myself how to use a dslr properly.
I have been using Panasonic G series cameras for just over a year starting with a G1 and finishing up with a GH2.
I now also have a used Canon which I am trying to get the hang of.
If anybody reads this, could I ask for some advice?
I have one big problem with my photography. My printed images bear no relation to the images on my monitor. I have recently changed to an Apple IMac and changed my printer to a Canon MG6150. However the edited image on my monitor is not reproduced by the printer. I have tried different brands of photographic paper and printed photos via different programs.
Is the simple answer to this, that my monitor needs calibration? What confuses me is that the monitor image seems to be very true to life, with regards to colour etc of the image taken.
Is the Spyder generally regarded as the best product for the keen amateur, and if so, which model for more than one screen?
If my printed images are not coming out correctly, it is defeating all my efforts to produce respectable photos, and I may as well use a camera phone if I intend to do no more than view photos on my monitor.
Anyone who has had this problem and can pass on the benefit of their experience would be greatly appreciated.
Ron

First of all I think you need to calibrate your monitor. This is always a good place to start.

All future output either to the printer or for web use is going have a known correct colour balance etc.

I borrow a friends Spyder to do this, re-adjustment doesn't seem to be needed very often. (I find not at all - although a PC reboot keeps telling me to check it)

Next you need to find quality ink and paper to get the prints looking as they should.

I would suggest using Canon's inks and Ilford Gallerie paper to start.

When you have experimented with printer settings and have good prints then you can

try out different paper and ink. You will at least have a standard to compare to.

Welcome to the forum Ron

Last edited:
Calibrating the monitor is the first place to start. This gives you a standard which you can work from. The iMac screen can calibrate very well indeed. However the first question I would ask is in which respect does the screen and print not match. Is it brightness, colour or both. Imac's like a lot of computers nowadays have very bright screens, way too bright for most photographic uses.

If you prints are coming out dark, try turning the screen brightness down. You can do this by going to System Preferences> Displays> and adjusting the brightness slider to around 50%.

If it is colour then you could look to see if the Canon printer dialogue gives you some control over global colour controls. Can't help too much here as I use Epson printers. Epson hide these controls away under the Advanced tab. I bet Canon do something similar.

However the best way to ensure good print /screen match it to have a calibrated screen and make use of printer profiles. This will help you get the best out of the camera Mac and printer. Not every bit of software will let you use printer profiles, but something like Photoshop will. It may initially sound a bit complicated, but it isn't, it just take a bit of time that's all. Time well spent I would suggest

If you are trying to tie down both printer and screen the problem comes with knowing which one is out - or which one is most out!

I would suggest you start with getting your screen sorted - the spyder3 does an OK job - the 2 does not correct the brightness...

My suggestion for screen is the xrite/gretag i1 display or its new replacement. For the printer quite often you'll find the paper manufacturer has good profiles on their website for many popular printers, which will be as good as many people can build themselves

First of all I think you need to calibrate your monitor. This is always a good place to start.

All future output either to the printer or for web use is going have a known correct colour balance etc.

I borrow a friends Spyder to do this, re-adjustment doesn't seem to be needed very often. (I find not at all - although a PC reboot keeps telling me to check it)

Next you need to find quality ink and paper to get the prints looking as they should.

I would suggest using Canon's inks and Ilford Gallerie paper to start.

When you have experimented with printer settings and have good prints then you can

try out different paper and ink. You will at least have a standard to compare to.

Welcome to the forum Ron

Thank you for taken the time to answer my query. Very solid advice, and greatly appreciated.
Ron

Calibrating the monitor is the first place to start. This gives you a standard which you can work from. The iMac screen can calibrate very well indeed. However the first question I would ask is in which respect does the screen and print not match. Is it brightness, colour or both. Imac's like a lot of computers nowadays have very bright screens, way too bright for most photographic uses.

If you prints are coming out dark, try turning the screen brightness down. You can do this by going to System Preferences> Displays> and adjusting the brightness slider to around 50%.

If it is colour then you could look to see if the Canon printer dialogue gives you some control over global colour controls. Can't help too much here as I use Epson printers. Epson hide these controls away under the Advanced tab. I bet Canon do something similar.

However the best way to ensure good print /screen match it to have a calibrated screen and make use of printer profiles. This will help you get the best out of the camera Mac and printer. Not every bit of software will let you use printer profiles, but something like Photoshop will. It may initially sound a bit complicated, but it isn't, it just take a bit of time that's all. Time well spent I would suggest

Hi
Thank you for the reply. Basically brightness and colour do not match.
I can understand that getting the screen brightness to match is vital, but the colours as well bear no relation to what is on the monitor.
I have a Canon print Pro programme which I have now installed on the computer which apparently should be a 'plug in' for Photoshop, including elements which I have. I believe this basically integrates the printer controls into Photoshop. Predictably, I am getting messages that say that is not compatible with my version of Photoshop. Trying again tonight with that one.
As you say, calibration is definitely the first step, so I think a Spyder 3 is my first job.
Thanks
Ron

If you are trying to tie down both printer and screen the problem comes with knowing which one is out - or which one is most out!

I would suggest you start with getting your screen sorted - the spyder3 does an OK job - the 2 does not correct the brightness...

My suggestion for screen is the xrite/gretag i1 display or its new replacement. For the printer quite often you'll find the paper manufacturer has good profiles on their website for many popular printers, which will be as good as many people can build themselves

Hi
Thank you for you professional advice, which I have taken on board.
I intend to update when I have made some positive progress.
Regards
Ron

Back