Printer: Help :)

• Thread starter Deleted member 25799
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25799

I know there's a lot of threads on printers, and i've read through most of them. But the majority of peoples budgets were no more than £250 or so. My budget is up to £1000.

I want a printer that preferably is portable. Sizes from 5X4 up to.. eh.. A4 I guess, but if there's a good one that goes larger too then even better. Just got to produce really good quality prints.

With the budget being a bit higher than £250, anyone got any good recommendations? Will mainly be used for events and sometimes studio.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
A good printer for studio use is the HP B9180 A3+ printer.

It's damn big though and I would not want to take it out to events.

Dye-Sub printers are used by a lot of on site printing event togs.

Have you considered you might want 2 printers?

The main need just now is a printer for taking out to events and being able to print prints then and there. But I'm happy to pay for a decent one! Any suggestions would be great :)

Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Mark II
and Canon Pixma Pro 9500 Mark II
both seem to look pretty good! .... ?

Sorry little knowledge of canon printers.

HP 9180 is now discontinued and although it can be bought you cant get the extended warrenty.

I went through this a month or so ago and went for the Canon Pixma 9000mk2 but would have gone for the 9500 instead if I had a tad more funds.

Epsons are great, the 2880 is a nice printer and gives good results. I had one demonstrated to me at Epson in Hemel Hemstead on a day course about printing. Great results but prone like all to faults.

This is a bit like horses for courses. I spent a month weighing up the pro's and cons of each one until I decided which one to buy.

PsiFox - Thanks anyway :)

AndrewC - I'll check it out thanks!

ChrisH - Have you had good results with the 9000? I am inkling towards the 9500! I've heard good things about the Epson 2880, but I think the 9500 is better if you can afford it?

At around 20kg I would hardly call the canon 9000 or 9500 or any A3 printer very portable and thats not taking into account it's physical size.
If you go with the 9500 you will not get a css or compatible cartridges very easily for it. however the 9000 is a little easier to get compats for, the 9500 is a pigment ink printer and from my experience they do suffer head blocking problems if they are not usd for a while, which is less likely to happen with the 9000 dye based ink.
The 9500mk2 is acording t the sales blurb more ecconomical on ink than the mk1 which it needed to be because my mk1 just used tons of the stuff, but for print quality being a 10 ink printer the 9500 is increadible, I have a friend who had a 9000 and the results pretty good.

Scraggs... Ahhh! So which one the 9000 or the 9500?

Scraggs... Ahhh! So which one the 9000 or the 9500?

Personally if it was for business use I would go for the 9500, if it was just personal use then I would go with the 9000
Just make sure if you go the 9500 route that you fire something through it every few weeks to keep the printhead from clogging, it's far cheaper to do that than do a full head clean which uses about £30 worth of ink

Thanks, have gone for that! Along with it, any recommendations on the paper?

Ink jet for events, what a mistake to make - just a bit of dampness in the air and smudged prints. If you are doing events then do it properly with a dye sub - faster, more durable prints, no clogged heads and the list goes on like they are constructed to take the knocks.

Dye subs are generally up to 9" x 6" and up to 12" x 8". It works out cheaper to print small prints on the one with the smallest media. I have two models the DNP DS40 for up to 9x6 and this gest the most work and a DNP DS80 for the 12x8's.

If you have any questions about dye subs give me a shout.

Mike

Back