Printer & Monitor calibrated but prints still not correct

Name
Dale
Edit My Images
Yes
Help!!!! :)

I've recently bought a Pantone Huey Pro so I could calibrate my monitor this seemed to work ok but I have noticed that my pointer now has a pinkish tinge to it. I have re-calibrated 4 times now and I still get that pinkish colour to the pointer, I should add that I get very obvious whites in photoshop etc so it is not a general colour cast that is causing this.

Having done that I then went to pureprofiles.com and bought a printer icc profile off them for my printer and paper. This involved me printing out 2 test sheets via their detailed printing instructions then sending those to them so that they could scan the results and send me a profile based on the paper/printer & ink I used.

I've now received the profile from them installed as instructed in their again clear step by step instructions and done some test prints.

Problem is the prints are still clearly not what I am seeing on my monitor they are generally darker than what I am seeing and the colours are off as well.

Do you think this will be a problem with the profile or is it a problem with the Huey?

Is it worth changing to better calibration hardware such as a GretagMacbeth Eye-One Display 2, or a Spyder 3 ???

I should add I am not after perfection here, I just want to print photos for non commercial use, however I would like the prints to resemble fairly closely any subtle changes that I have painstakingly produced in photoshop.

Am I expecting too much from my basic Epson R360 even though it has had a custom profile made for it?

Thanks

you obviously followed their section on switching off photoshop and printer drivers before you printed out the charts?
then on recieving the profile linked it to photoshop
Plus if it doesnt work have you telephoned them asking whats the problem??

Yes I'm 100% certain the charts were printed as instructed I have installed the profile by right clicking and Install. I have also selected in my printer options the correct profile.
I will phone at some point just wanted to check I've not done something stupid first and also to get people's opinions as to if it could still be a monitor calibration problem.

And it is selected in photoshop?
I have the working space selected as Adobe RGB 1998 (my camera is set to Adobe RGB) is p/s's working space meant to be the printer profile as well? if so will that not effect how others will see the image if they have their profiles set to RGB or sRGB etc
When I open a file p/s asks if I want to use the working space or the embedded profile or discard and don't colour manage which of these should I be using?

OK lets tyry and sort this out for you.

If you have PS set to Adobe RGB, the same as you camera that's fine. If you get a the profile mismatch message,asking you what to do then select the working colour space ( cos it makes the rest easier)

Now to printing. Are you using CS3 or cs2. There's not much difference, except the dialog box if a bit different.

Rather than go through the whole settings etc, here is a link to Ian Lyons web page on the subject. It refers to CS3, but he also has one on CS2, the principles are the same. Also don't forget to swich off colour controls in the Epsom driver, that may be you problem, Ian goes over this in the article. It may not be your printer but the dialog is the same

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps10_print/ps10_print_1.htm

Thanks for the advice everyone but I have solved the problem now by buying a Gretag Eye-One Display 2! my prints are now significantly closer to my monitor image. The eye-one was a bit more fiddly to set up but it has produced a better calibration for me.

stormcrow - just seen this and glad your sorted, that's what i'm finding, i'm getting called in by customers who have calibrated their systems using a huey pro, and they cannot get accurate results, I then do a monitor calibration using my eye one pro and they are amazed at how much different it is, and more accurate.

This is interesting, I use Spyder 3 elite and have had some calibration issues. After help from a forum member on the monitor calibration what I see on screen is a better match to what prints but by no means perfect. mho, spyder or eye one and why?

Some years ago I used a Spyder to try and calibrate some monitors. To be honest I wasn't impressed by the results. We switched to an X-Rite system and the difference was chalk and cheese. As a result I've stayed away from the Spyder system . That's a personal judgment, there may be people here that have found it to be fine. Nowadays I use the i1, and have no problem whatsoever.

Just one thought. I think the Spyder asks you to adjust the monitor brightness and white balance using the monitor controls. I've found that getting the brightness right, then switching to the " No monitor controls" option sometimes helps. It's important though to get the brightness level right, not to bright and not to dark . If you can set it the "recommended range is 120-140 cd/M2.

Reset the monitor to "Factory Defaults" before you start. And if you have Adobe Gamma installed make sure it's disabled, as this can really screw up a calibration

Back