Printers - scrap or repair?

Edit My Images
No
Hi there.

Wonder if anyone can offer any advice on my printer.

I have an epson Photo Stylus 895. A few months ago it stopped working - something to do with the paper feed thing. Won't take any paper in either manually or automatic. Checked inside and there is nothing jammed or stuck in there.

Just wondering, does anyone have any ideas on repair costs, or is it not worth repairing and should I just chuck it out?

Any advice / experiences much appreciated.

Anth.

scrap em, with the cost of new ones, around £100 and less for a new epson r365 its not worth the headache.

I had a quote for a broken r220 £49 to repair, if I could find one new it would cost around £50-£60.

No brainer get the credit card out :)

Get the card out, bin the printer, and bin the idea of buying epsons...lol
I've had nowt but bad luck with epsons (both myself and a couple of my friends), clogged heads, streaky prints, noisy clanky printers after minimal use.

We've all gone Canon now (y)

And for balance - I've got an Epson 220 that has run trouble free for well over 2 years on cheap compatible carts. Sometimes used a lot, most times just sits there waiting. Works fine after not being used for weeks too!

I have had a Epson 1290 run really well for the last year (averaging 50 A3 prints a month), but my past experience with Epson printers tells me that if the paper feeder goes then it is time to get it replaced.

Maybe have a look at some of the new A3+ printers? The new Epson 1400 seems like a great deal for what you are getting.

Gotta agree with Marcel on this, iv had a few Epsons in the past, they are nothing but trouble. My housemate also has an Epson, it prints streaky pages even after cleaning and aligning the print cartrages.

Go for an HP or Canon, never had any problems with either of these printers (i'v had more HP printers than I can remember, allways been pretty good, it's the only thing HP does well...lol).

Had my epson r300 for 3 years now, no trouble at all.

I think its like anything in life you can get bad apples and sometimes it always happens to you or someone you know. :shrug:

Had my epson r300 for 3 years now, no trouble at all.

Same here, well, at least two years anyway before I donated it to someone and got a canon for a change as much as anything. My colleagues just bought a HP and he's having nothing but hassle with it. Fuzzy text and streaky prints.

Can't say I've ever had a bad printer to be honest.

I swear by (not at) Epson printers, they are cheap to run and have served me well for years. I have 2 at the moment, an R300 running a CIS and an Epson Stylus Photo EX A3 printer. I am waiting at the moment for my new printer to be delivered which should arrive tomorrow - a gorgeous new R2400 A3.

This is funny because I actually came on to the site tonight to GIVE AWAY my old photo EX A3 printer!!! But bizarrely I cannot give my printer away in the for sale section because I have not been a member long enough !!

Oh well hope I don't get into trouble for listing it free for collection in the equipment section instead!

Moderators - Sorry just trying to do someone a favour but I don't have enough posts yet!!

I had a canon but the ink was so expensive is was cheaper to buy a new epson. That said it was only for general printing stuff, now I've got a photo hobby I would look a lot hard at which printer to get.

One of those A0 ones they have at Jessops in Manchester would be nice :LOL:

Had an Epson 1270 for a few years now. Been fine but will only print photos on Epson paper. Staples paper prints very blobby.

Worth taking apart just in case it is as simple as a spring worked its way loose. I have dismantled and reassembled more printers than I want to remember. Horrible things to get apart and even worse to get back together. I am sure the manufacturers make it particularly difficult so that you have to send them in to be repaired in return for a huge bill.

If you are planning to bin it though, it might be worth a look.

Worth taking apart just in case it is as simple as a spring worked its way loose. I have dismantled and reassembled more printers than I want to remember. Horrible things to get apart and even worse to get back together. I am sure the manufacturers make it particularly difficult so that you have to send them in to be repaired in return for a huge bill.

If you are planning to bin it though, it might be worth a look.

I whole heartedly agree. The number of Epson printers that have been thrown away due to blocked heads when they can easily be cleared if you take the head off!

oh and if anyone needs the engineering software for resetting Epson printers etc PM me !

I used to work for PC World [so that probably means I dont know what I'm talking about]

I usually find there is 1 person in PC World who knows what they are talking about - I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you were that person in your store ;)

As for the printer thing - if it's not feeding paper and is out of warranty, yes it can be fixed but unless it's an A3 printer then it's not worth it. I've used HP for years and never had a problem. OK the cartridges can be expensive but if you go to 7dayshop you'll get reasonable prices - just get the real McCoy, you'll get guaranteed print quality that way.

I have an Epson RX500
, and it has given me faultless use for the past three years
using inkrite inks and failrly cheap papers as well.
No problems at all.(y):)

:canon:

always epson for me.. in my opinion they have always given far superior photo prints
only problem for me is i'm an ink snob and will only ever buy epson inks and they have a marketing ploy of mkaing it cheaper to buy the next new printer than it is to buy a full set of inks, of course you never need a full set all at the same time :)
to whomever mentioned blocked heads, arent the heads on the ink carts? just swap cartridge
but to the original post, i concur, just bin it and get a new one, seriously a new printer is around the same as a full set of inks for your old one.. and it comes complete with inks :)
thowaway society

Thanks as always folks!!!!

It is now in the tip!! I did the bloke thing of seeing how many bits I could get it into whilst throwing it in there as hard as I could ;)

Re: the debate on printer types ... I have used Epson for years without a hitch (And ALWAYS on compatible inks ;) !! I also have a little HP 6 x 4 photo printer which is excellent quality for printing the odd snap off here and there for family & friends!!!

Anth.

Back