Printing at Home newbie - struggling with colour matching

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I'm just trying out home printing for the first time and I'm really struggling to get the prints to match what I see on my monitor.

Some background info...
Editing in Capture One (CO) On Windows 10 PC
Using Canon TS5350 printer, with the latest printer driver installed on PC (re-installed today)
LG Monitor is calibrated using SpyderX Pro

... I first tried printing an image using Canon's Easy Photo Print Editor (CEPPE) software, and the results were good on the brightness/contrast front, but the colours had a fairly strong green tint to them.
There are no colour correction options in the CEPPE app print dialog, so no way to correct it via that app.

Then I realised that perhaps I should be trying to print direct from CO, so tried that and the results were horrible, very dark, plus the same strong green tint.

In the CO print dialog box it does warn 'Before printing turn OFF color management in the Print dialog' but there is no obvious button to turn off color management in the Print dialog...

The only item related to it is this...
1648663580882.png

I have tried googling all this, and I've seen a few related threads that say you need to go into the Main tab, set the Color/intensity to Manual, hit Set, go into the 'Matching' tab and make sure it's set to None, all as per below...

1648663782136.png

And I've done all this, and the images from CO are still awful.
I've tried a bunch of different profiles from the 'Color Profiles' dropdown in CO and they all come out the same (v dark, and with the green tint)

I then tried with one of monochrome profiles in CO, and it did indeed print it monochrome, but it was also very dark and with the green tint!

Here's a capture of the main CO print dialog box...
Screenshot 2022-03-30 191956.jpg

So essentially I have two key issues as far as I see it:
1. The main one is this strong green tint that is getting added no matter what, whether I am printing from Capture One or from the Canon Print tool
2. Using Capture One I am getting the above issue PLUS it coming out very dark

Apologies for the long post, I've been looking into this all day and am at my wit's end.

So if anyone has got any ideas where I might start to look to fix either/both of these issues, the info would be very gratefully received.
Also, my brain is fried, so please let me know if I'm missing any key/obvious info, etc.

Thanks much all.
Steve.

Sorry if I missed it above but can you confirm:-

1) Are you using Canon OEM inks or third party ones?

2) Are you using Canon own photo papers?

Sorry if I missed it above but can you confirm:-

1) Are you using Canon OEM inks or third party ones?

2) Are you using Canon own photo papers?

Hi there, thanks - Yes Canon OEM inks and Canon's own 'Glossy Photo Paper'.

Hmmm!

None too sure but I note that your choice of paper in the first screen capture does not seem to match the specific Canon Photo Glossy paper(s) that I have.....can you look at the box the sheets came in and say what exactly the box says on it? e.g. Photo Paper Glossy II....to pick just Glossy Photo Paper seems to be a none Canon generic glossy choice of paper rather than what it says on the papers box???

Last edited:
Thanks, BB.

Well I got this Canon 'Photo Value Pack' for 2 x new XL ink cartridges, and I hadn't noticed when ordering but it came with 50 sheets of photo paper! (which is what prompted me to start trying out the printing).

On the pack it calls it 'Glossy Photo Paper' - and in the Printer driver settings, in the media type dropdown under the photo paper section, there is an option for the exact same wording, so I just assumed this was the right one to choose...

canon ink-paper pack.jpeg

Screenshot 2022-03-31 065539.jpg

Don't know if it's relevant, but it's the black cartridge that I just replaced. The colour cartridge (standard size) was fine/plenty-full, I've barely used colour at all for printing, as up till now I've only really printed docs/text.
That said, it's only taken these 12-15 test prints to almost wipe out my original colour cartridge, so it's a good job I have the new XL one waiting in the wings!

Last edited:
Due to your lack of recent colour printing it might be worth printing off a nozzle check.

This might help you understand the colour adjustment process better. https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/PrinterDriver/W/MX450 series/1.0/EN/PPG/Dg-c_color_correction.html

Try using managed by printer in the Colour profile box in C1 then select driver matching in your printer instead of none.
That should hopefully give what Canon thinks is an acceptable colour to your print using their ink and paper
You can also tweak the colours used by the printer driver https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/PrinterDriver/W/MX450 series/1.0/EN/PPG/Dg-c_color_correction02.html

If the print comes out dark odds on its because the monitor is set too bright.

Last edited:
Due to your lack of recent colour printing it might be worth printing off a nozzle check.

This might help you understand the colour adjustment process better. https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/PrinterDriver/W/MX450 series/1.0/EN/PPG/Dg-c_color_correction.html

Try using managed by printer in the Colour profile box in C1 then select driver matching in your printer instead of none.
That should hopefully give what Canon thinks is an acceptable colour to your print using their ink and paper
You can also tweak the colours used by the printer driver https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/PrinterDriver/W/MX450 series/1.0/EN/PPG/Dg-c_color_correction02.html

If the print comes out dark odds on its because the monitor is set too bright.

Thanks TT, for your input.

I did a nozzle check (looked ok), and then a clean, and then a print alignment for safe measure, another nozzle check, all looks good.

Yes I'd seen that colour correction page in the canon manual, thanks.

I want to focus on getting it right first using the Canon Photo Print app, cos it's soooo close, apart from the green tint. Brightness and contrast all good.
Once/if I can nail it in the Canon app, then I can switch my attentions to the C1 printing dark issue.
I think my monitor brightness is ok, as I said the print brightness using the Canon photo app is good, plus my monitor is set to 40 brightness (on a 0-100 scale).

I think I'll raise a support ticket with Canon.

Last edited:
Brightness sounds about right Steve, I usually say to people try at between 35-40 if the print is dark.
Never printed via an app so not sure what settings it has, sounds like you are on the right track though.

Thanks TT. Just spent the best part of 2 hours in web chat with Canon support, testing the settings, drivers, etc, unfortunately to no avail.
So they're escalating it to next level support, who will call me at some point soon hopefully.

@Steve K

Steve

If it would help I could send you some 6x4 sheets of the Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy II. That is the paper I use as needed on my TS8250 printer and they are very colour accurate compared to ones I have had printed commercially ~ though please note, compared to your TS5350, the TS8250 is a 6 colour printer in their consumer range.

PM me as appropriate if you want me to?

Last edited:
Ah that's a very kind and generous offer, thank you BB!!

I'll see what the Canon support team say when they call, and it might be that they suggest trying different paper.
Will PM you if I need to
Thanks again, much appreciated (y)

Back