printing calendars in bulk

Name
paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Good afternoon, I belong to a facebook group in my local village and post my shots which go down well. So i thought i would see if the community would be interested in a calendar of photos from the village. So far i have had interest of 250+ copies and all the shops are willing to sell the calendar for no cost to themselves. I am doing this to raise money for parkinson disease which i have and would like to obviously want to keep costs down so the max profit can go to the charity. I was just wondering if anybody can advise me on the best place to print a large batch which offer quality and value for money. Tbh the printimg is the only thing that is a stumbling block that is stopping this from happening. I've even got a friend who works for the local paper who is going to do some publicity work and i'm aiming to have the calendar out by the first week in December for the runup to the xmas period and new year. Any advise would help and many thanks

Not that I have (yet?) used this company, I used to work for a company supplying some of their finishing materials. So on my patch they were my customer.

They make a lot for craft type short run businessess and though major on greetings cards do make calendars......so IMO worth talking to them!

http://www.theimagingcentre.co.uk

Hope you find a supplier you can work with to reach your goal :)

Thanks mate, i will look into seeing what they can offer.

Might be worth phoning a few companies that turn up on a Google search and explaining the situation. It's possible that one or more of them will do a special deal for you.

I do calendars every year, got over 2000 printed last year, my suggestion is to contact some local printers and get a few different quotes.

On the basis of quantity / price the above looks promising - 250 copies of an A3 wallhanger for £750 means £3 each, so sold at £6 each would be a £750 fundraiser, etc. Price per copy goes down as quantity goes up.

If you can do page design and pdf output that's going to help, if it's not a hurdle too far.

I haven't looked at their pdf preparation guidelines - with some companies these can be quite specific. But they also mention Word files, though I'd shrink from using Word as a page layout program to send to print. Unless it's improved in the last century. But you'll have to check out the colour profile business too.

Have you sent image files for normal photo printing before? Can you adjust densities, and soft-proof tone and colour? Then you have a head start.

Last edited:
Scant info on the website at the moment, but in response to an email they said this:

"We normally receive final pdf files from clients who download the Word templates.
The pdf will need to be a print quality pdf with at lease 3mm bleed around. The images will need to be 250dpi or greater, CMYK colour space using Coated FOGRA39 profile."

Funny they supply a Word template with no sign of an InDesign one? Good old Photoshop can cope with the colour. Normally I would resize images to exact size @ 300ppi.

Tempted to have a go for 2019.

They followed with this:

"If you want me to put the calendar together for you, please just supply the hi-res images indicating which month they belong to and/or any captions you may want included.
Also if you want any indication of bank holidays within the calendar months themselves.
There will be extra charges if you require us to put the calendar together for you."

Good afternoon, I belong to a facebook group in my local village and post my shots which go down well. So i thought i would see if the community would be interested in a calendar of photos from the village. So far i have had interest of 250+ copies and all the shops are willing to sell the calendar for no cost to themselves. I am doing this to raise money for parkinson disease which i have and would like to obviously want to keep costs down so the max profit can go to the charity. I was just wondering if anybody can advise me on the best place to print a large batch which offer quality and value for money. Tbh the printimg is the only thing that is a stumbling block that is stopping this from happening. I've even got a friend who works for the local paper who is going to do some publicity work and i'm aiming to have the calendar out by the first week in December for the runup to the xmas period and new year. Any advise would help and many thanks

Just a hint....get the calendar out as early as you can. Many people buy their calendars long before Christmas. Don't leave it till December if you can possibly avoid it.

Thanks for all the tips and help looking forward to having a calendar this year.

Back