printing in high street shops and profiles

sab

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi! I have done some work on my photos. all look great now and ready to print. but just noticed that all of them are saved in ProPhoto RGB. if I got to shops like jessops etc will they print them for me as I see them? or they will convert them or something?
thanks in advance

Paul

ohhh nooo!

High street minilabs expect to see files in sRGB - and most don't even look at the profile - so I hate to think what they'll look like in the ProPhoto space - however, even more important is how have you profiled your monitor - as that will effect it even more. An unprofiled monitor will make the prints very dark and warm - as the screen is too bright and cold.

:( thanks for that. so am I right to think my phoogrpah on my monitor (profiled with colorMunki) look like this:
ProPhoto RGB

and after print in the shop will look like this:
sRGB

please excuse quality but it was resized quickly. all i wantedto show is just the colors.
thanks

Paul

Last edited:
yes - pretty much!
Also, be aware that many browsers on the web don't see profiles either...!

ProPhoto RGB is a really big colour space. So if you are going to use it you really need to be using 16 bit images to maintain all the data that is available.

As far as high streets labs is concerned I'm with SnappingSam 8 bit sRGB is the safest.

Back