Printing Lab for Fine Art Print

Edit My Images
Yes
I've been asked to give a price for a large print someone has seen on my website, and as this is a market I'm not too familiar with I could do with some advice! I've read about the Giclee/inkjet against C type debate and would like some thoughts on that, but can someone suggest a good printer for a print 900x300mm and the type of print to go for? I need to get this right before I price it for shipping out to New Zealand.

Thanks in advance

define fine art? does the client want it on a gloss surface, a matt surface, a fibre base paper etc. fine art prints are just a fancy word for overpriced lol

an A3 printer would do a 900x300mm print

What I would do is look at printing places in New Zealand rather than posting it out. will work out cheaper

What I would do is look at printing places in New Zealand rather than posting it out. will work out cheaper

This is certainly the way forward. Shipping to NZ is going to be expensive, and the chance of the prints arriving damaged is high. If the client claims that has happened someone is going to have to pay to get the print back here unless you are happy trusting them and just sending another one.

Get it printed there, and shipped direct to the customer. Then, if anything is wrong with it it can be returned to the print lab direct.

This is certainly the way forward. Shipping to NZ is going to be expensive, and the chance of the prints arriving damaged is high. If the client claims that has happened someone is going to have to pay to get the print back here unless you are happy trusting them and just sending another one.

Get it printed there, and shipped direct to the customer. Then, if anything is wrong with it it can be returned to the print lab direct.

I originally agreed with printing abroad, however,
Depends a bit on quality control.

If it is printed here, then the OP has the chance to QA the item prior to shipping. If it is damaged in transit, a photograph of before and after would be enough to claim on the shipping insurance I would think (assuming you are going to insure it).
You then have to re-print, check and re-send, customer ends up with 1 good print, and one damaged print.

If it is printed abroad. You cannot QA the image prior to it getting to the customer. You are then let a bit sticky as to whether the colour etc. is correct.
Reprints/complaints have to be arranged on the phone, or via email, at a considerable time delay possibly.

Also, it feels like it reduces the 'worth' of the item.
It is no longer a piece of art that it being shipped, it is a photograph which is being emailed and printed.

Back