Printing photos

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.
I am getting a few pics i am happy with now after a bit of practice.
Her indoors asked why do i not print some and stick them on the wall in the den.
What would be the best method? I have a HP deskjet 960, would that do the job? or is it best to order them from truprint or somewhere?
TIA
DAve

Hi Dave

Heres Russel Browns how to print photos the frist bits for mac last bits for windows, (both the same really as in set up)setting up for photoshop to manage the colours and no colour adjustment with the printer and how to simulate what the result will be like

http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/3800PrintingSM.mov

its the method I use and it gives great results what you sees what you get

HTH

Dave

TBH, the reviews of photo printers I've read show the cost per print to be high so I'd be inclined to get them done at somewhere like Photobox, Snapfish (part of HP) or similar. I reckon that, taking into account what it will cost you to print them at home, you'll only really end up paying for the postage, plus the quality will almost certainly be better - maybe a lot better.

Both PB and SN usually offer X free prints introductory offer so you you'll save even more.

Some of the more advanced printers are as good or even better than normal prints the a print service. I have been really impressed by the Epson R2400 both in colour and black & white. Yes the cost is similar to taking them to a shop but it gives you a bit more flexibility. Also with the addition of a CISS the cost works out less. (oh by the way I have one for sale in the for sale section [now at £350] :) )

I've no doubt there are printers for home use that can produce a standard comparable to a print shop - but how much would it cost? While I seen excellent quality from consumer printers, I've never seen one that doesn't produce banding to some extent in large areas of colour, e.g. skies.

The OP says he has an HP 960, is that up to the job? I suspect not. IIRC they were sub £100 when new.

I've no doubt there are printers for home use that can produce a standard comparable to a print shop - but how much would it cost? While I seen excellent quality from consumer printers, I've never seen one that doesn't produce banding to some extent in large areas of colour, e.g. skies.

The OP says he has an HP 960, is that up to the job? I suspect not. IIRC they were sub £100 when new.
It does depend on what you consider to be a home printer. I have an r2400 and there is no banding on that. It does however cost about £450. Most 'home' printers can be improved by calibration but the really cheap ones will always have some

It does depend on what you consider to be a home printer. I have an r2400 and there is no banding on that. It does however cost about £450. Most 'home' printers can be improved by calibration but the really cheap ones will always have some

I would consider a home printer to be sub £100 personally. For £450 you'd have to do a lot of printing to recoup your outlay but, like you say, it does give you flexibility - and quick turnaround - over a print shop.

I guess it depends on what you want/need.

Back