Printing with a profile, CS4

Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, so my colormunki turned up today.
I have nearly everything in order to produce some nice prints, I think.
I am a little concerned that the colormunki may not be working perfectly, but it is giving consistent results (in that after the second profile, before and after match). My concern comes from the fact that when I have had prints printed online, they come out darker than my screen, and the colormunki appears to have brightened my screen.

So I have a brand-spanking-new Pixma 9500
Unfortunately, the paper hasn't arrived. So my only option to test with at the mo, is some Kodak Photo paper, of which I have more than one sheet, but 6x4, or, I have single sheets of a Hahnemuhle sample pack. However, I want to save the sheets until I know I am printing 'correctly'

My issue, is that all of the sites on the net, for how to set up to print correctly from CS4, have a different print settings screen.
They state to turn off color management (and show the check box on the 'old' [as I see it CS2 style] print screen set to off) but this disables the options for how to set the ICC for the printer.
Can someone tell me what I should have selected (probably) for each of the options?

My 'view' is that after calibration, that the image on the screen should be relatively close to the image out of the printer, to the limitation of the print range of the printer.
I have selected Canon Photo Glossy, as that is very similar to the kodak paper, and I understand that the resultant image will not be perfect, until I can get the correct paper. (and I cannot sensibly calibrate the printer until I have more than 1 sheet!)

Last edited:
colour handing should read photoshop handles colour managment, black point ticked, profile should be for which ever paper you are using.

As above, but also just click Page Setup and check all Colour Management is turned off in the Printer Driver.

Last edited:
Thanks both. What should be set for the rendering intent in most cases?
Think it is a toss-up between Perceptual and Relative?
Perceptual would shift/squash the colour range so that it fits the gamut of the printer,
relative prints all those colours which match the gamut, and the chooses the closest match for those which don't?
So images with lots of blacks and whites which are out of range may look clipped on relative, but otherwise this would be the closest reproduction?

Mines set on Perceptual, never needed to change it.
I normally use ProPhoto colour space only change to AdobeRGB for my older printer.

Thank you very much for your help. I went out to try and get some more paper today, but it seems no-where actually stocks anything which is compatible (I wasn't expecting much, but surely some semi-gloss from Canon). Tries PC World, very little of any paper, Sainsburys, had a reasonable amount of printer stuff, but mainly Epson, Xerox. WH Smiths had shelves and shelves of paper, but no Canon.
Anyway, bought some 'cheapy' HP stuff, and used that to profile the printer (obviously, it is only valid for that paper, but if I can prove that the printer works, and have a supplier validated profile for the other papers, I can be more confident).
I printed out a picture that I have had previously printed on a canvas 'professionally', and the image matches pretty well in colour now.
It is slightly more blurred, which I can't understand at the moment, and slightly darker than it appears on screen (nothing I can't prepare for when printing).
Thanks for the settings.

watch out for HP paper as not all of it is pigment friendly. if it is swellable paper then it will take a while to dry with pigment inks

I did think about that when I bought it. It stated that it is for all inkjet printers, but I was taking that with a pinch of salt.
There is unfortunately nothing much on the paper itself.
Rather more unfortunate, they appear to also do an almost identical brand, which has pigment in the title. Darn.
HP Everyday Photo paper Inkjet Semi-Glossy is what I have.
Oh well, 97 pages left.

Thanks, how did you find that out, or do you just know? (as I am finding nothing much about it online)

Ar**.
Have managed to find this now, from the HP website. Seems I need to get the same packet, but with the word 'New' on the front, if I want non-swellable.

In general, there are two types of photo paper coating technologies in the photo paper market: swellable and nano-porous. Swellable paper coatings—an older type of technology—use polymeric materials that “swell” when printed with ink. Swellable paper coatings take longer to dry but typically offer good fade resistance with many types of inks on the market. The previous HP Everyday Photo Paper used a swellable coating. However, the current trend is toward inks (both dye and pigment) that are optimized for fast-drying, porous coatings. This is one reason why the new HP Everyday Photo paper features a nano-porous coating for faster dry time.
(from "http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2007/powerofprint/bg_s_neweveryday_photopaper.pdf")

Hi Coldpenguin,
You will have to do a new profile for each paper you use.

Back