Prints for an exhibition - not framed

Pound Coin

Horatio Nelson
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been asked to produce some prints for a local exhibition, but I don't want to frame them. I've used foam backed before, but they aren't easy to deal with to display or afterwards (e.g. for someone to put on a wall.)

Any cheap solution suggestions? Also need to be fast, as it is just over a week away!!

TIA!

First question is......

Does the exhibition space have a hanging system i.e. rail and/or hanging points at various and/it set height(s).

What I am thinking of is poster type hanging grips but they need to hang from something?

Edit
For example

They also have something called "Picture Hits" but it's default too hanging IIRC is based on their own rails.

The poster system has a loop on the top element so should be more universal.

HTH:)

Last edited:
That’s useful, thanks. I'm not sure what they have at the venue, but it is probably free standing, rather than hanging.

That’s useful, thanks. I'm not sure what they have at the venue, but it is probably free standing, rather than hanging.
Hmmm!

I have seen a few examples of free standing panels....
But IIRC they fall into 2 types ~ the (upmarket?) fabric covered ones to which Velcro 'buttons' can attach to. Or much basic ones like a simple wooden screen framework with hanging points.

All the best with the exhibition and perhaps post a few pictures of it and your exhibits?

Hmm, I think those two would take too long, but I'll have a look, thanks.

Hmm, I think those two would take too long, but I'll have a look, thanks.
Sorry, I was describing what I thought the exhibition space might have....?

If it is a bare room with no wall hanging rails/points and no hanging panels (such as I described) then to display unframed or unmounted on foam board.....the simplest method is to use BluTack (they have a white version) to adhere the prints to the walls.

I return to my first question ~ does the space have any picture display points.

PS if BluTack is the only logical option I suggest you ask if you can use that method.......not always easy to get it 100% off of brick walls!

Knowing the space, I think BluTak and foam board is most likely to be the answer!

Knowing the space, I think BluTak and foam board is most likely to be the answer!
Based on what you said and my perception (y)

In regard to BluTack.....if you print with over wide borders to allow for corner damage i.e. trimming to then frame as appropriate afterwards, that might mean you could just put the bare prints up?

PS I hope you enjoy the experience and the visitors give useful feedback:)

Last edited:
My last exhibition was in a museum that only had one usable wall, the rest of the hanging space was free standing display boards. I was wary of using frames on these, so ended up using unmounted prints and bulldog clips.

It worked OK but we didn’t realise that the room was a bit damp so all the prints started to curl up at the corners after a week. To rectify it, we had to get some big push pins that we inserted into the boards so that the head of the pin held the prints flat (I didn’t want to put holes in the prints as I wanted to use them again). This worked OK and held them flat for the remainder of the exhibition.

Attachments

• IMG_2023-6-9-170150.jpeg
    IMG_2023-6-9-170150.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 20
My last exhibition was in a museum that only had one usable wall, the rest of the hanging space was free standing display boards. I was wary of using frames on these, so ended up using unmounted prints and bulldog clips.

It worked OK but we didn’t realise that the room was a bit damp so all the prints started to curl up at the corners after a week. To rectify it, we had to get some big push pins that we inserted into the boards so that the head of the pin held the prints flat (I didn’t want to put holes in the prints as I wanted to use them again). This worked OK and held them flat for the remainder of the exhibition.
Good experience insight....... especially about what was provided and how used :)

Good experience insight....... especially about what was provided and how used :)
Happy to help!

Frames will always be my preferred medium for exhibitions though, this was the one I did prior to that. Having a hanging system made things much easier when it came to staging the exhibition, and I’d accumulated quite a few frames over the course of doing a number of exhibitions over the years. Still had to borrow a few though.

Attachments

• IMG_2023-6-9-193004.jpeg
    IMG_2023-6-9-193004.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 13
Well, they are up. What can I say...?

I am happy to be supporting a local, community, art event.

(I am looking forward to displaying the prints elsewhere at a future point in time :D )

Well, they are up. What can I say...?

I am happy to be supporting a local, community, art event.

(I am looking forward to displaying the prints elsewhere at a future point in time :D )
Thanks for your updating the thread.

Any chance of a picture or three to show us the look and what you chose to display.........and perhaps to illustrate what method of display that you ended up using? :)

Back