prints sent rolled in tubes...any probs?

Edit My Images
Yes
hi all, i need to get an a2 size print done and i'm considering using http://www.theprintspace.co.uk - however, they state that prints of that size will be sent rolled in a tube.

i was wondering whether this is a problem when it comes to potential creases / folds etc. It's a print that i'll be entering into a competition and it needs to be entered in a transparent protective sleeve so will obviously need to be rolled out.

the print is going to cost over 25 pounds so i want to make sure it's perfect really...any thoughts? Or if anyone can recommend a very good company for doing an a2 print fast (need it by early next week really) - i'm open to suggestions!

DSCL poster prints are inkjet prints not dye sub photo prints, I'm not sure about your guys.

Quality is superb.

Had 48 x 36 done by DSCL, comes rolled up in a tube,never had a problem, just roll them back the other way,carefully.

Quality is spot on as well.

Ive just had 2 lots of prints done by DSCL some A4 and some much larger ones and the quality on both was superb one lot arrived in a tube well packaged no probs at all. The A4 arrived in good quality cardboard envelope. Turn aorund time was 2 - 4 days so no probs their either.

The cost of sending that sized print flat with all of the packaging etc. would probably be more than the cost of the print, plus are you going to be in when the Postman comes calling as I'm sure that it won't fit your letterbox, then you would have that little note that says " we tried to deliver" etc, then you will have to take a trip to your sorting office, tubes are fine if they are tubed correctly.

Joan

Rolled tubes can make it a bit trickier if you're framing but are usually o.k, most damage is done when removing it from the tube so be careful!! unfortunately I think you'll struggle to find many companies that send out large prints flat and as Joan mentions if they do the charges will be pretty hefty.

I second everyone elses suggestion about DSCL, use them all the time, but for me their prints above 18x12" (inkjet) are good but not as good as their smaller prints - personally I use Peak Imaging for anything larger than 18x12 & they're superb

Simon

Last edited:
when we send out A3 we normally sent flat, but sometimes in tubes... some people prefer the tube prints as they get delivered quicker - the big flat box sometimes is delayed as it goes out on a seperate delivery as they don't fit in sack.

For bigger, there is a limit on 1st class post that would just allow a 16x20 to be sent flat. Packaging for these bigger sizes is, as someone pointed out, often a bigger cost than the print, whereas the tube is cheaper.

Tubes come in a selection of diamaters - and wall thicknesses.... with the thickness adding to the weight. Often a company will choose a tube with a wall thickness that means that perhaps 1 in 30 will get damaged, knowing it's cheaper to reprint those that do, rather than pay higher postage on all 30 sent....

Back