Problem with Tokina 12-24mm

Name
Edd
Edit My Images
Yes
Good Evening,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me. I've owned a Tokina 12-24mm for about 2 years now and have always been pleased with it and it has provided me with some of my favourite shots.

However when using it recently 'error 99' suddenly appeared on my camera (Canon 20D) when the shot was taken, this had never happened before. I've looked it up on google and some people suggest it is a problem with the contacts, so I did as suggested and cleaned them with an eraser. This did not fix the problem. I can clarify that there is something wrong with the lens rather than the camera because my 70-200L f4 still works perfectly with the camera.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Regards,
Edward

Hi, do you only get the error when shooting wider than around 15mm? I've got the same lens and it developed the same error after I'd lent it to a friend of mine last summer. After originally blaming him for breaking it (!) I got in touch with kenro who are the uk service centre for tokina. I sent it off to them and they replaced the iris PCB and ribbon cable for around £80 and I had the lens back within the week.

Apparently its a common issue with the 12-24 caused by the ribbon being too short by design hence it over-stretches and eventually fails when the lens is extended to wider focal lengths.

Cheers
Steve

Back