Produce & Share a Zine Round III - Complete (Nov - April 21)

When can you NOT attend a proposed 7.30pm Zoom meeting of 40 minutes to chat about these Zines?

• Total voters
it's fairly intuitive I found, at least as far as the basics
It is for photo zines, but gets :banghead: when you start using it to design a book that's mostly text with some pictures.

:LOL:

It is for photo zines, but gets :banghead: when you start using it to design a book that's mostly text with some pictures.

:LOL:

I did one which was about 50/50 split text and pictures, and once I'd figured out the text box linking it didn't seem very different to a pics only zine. The tricky bit of course is figuring out the text linking :)

I did one which was about 50/50 split text and pictures, and once I'd figured out the text box linking it didn't seem very different to a pics only zine. The tricky bit of course is figuring out the text linking :)

That's pretty easy. It's wrapping text round pictures and getting text to line up at the bottom of columns and pages that has me shouting and swearing!

That's pretty easy. It's wrapping text round pictures and getting text to line up at the bottom of columns and pages that has me shouting and swearing!

Ah I kept mine to rectangular text frames, I can't even get text wrap to work properly in MS Word so there was no way i was going down that rabbit hole :)

Ah I kept mine to rectangular text frames, I can't even get text wrap to work properly in MS Word so there was no way i was going down that rabbit hole :)
Text wraps I got a grip of. Lining up text at the bottom of columns/pages is still beating me. Whenever I think I have it sussed it throws me a curve ball... It's bound tyo be something I'm doing wrong that's a simple fix. But for now that project is on the shelf.

I would like to participate this time
Hopefully by April I will have a eureka moment and produce a something to be proud of
If anyone has spares from previous productions they would be appreciated
Thanks
Gary

@MrDrizz's arrived just now
Very nice , Southport is only one hour away brings back memories of childhood day trips
Thanks

Paid up my 34 quid for Affinity Publisher and been having a play with it.
Thinking of doing a few trial runs before the big share, all good fun though.

Might I also ask if anyone could send me a Zine they have going spare please.
Not only for interest sake, but also to see what I should be aiming at from a production angle.
Thank you in anticipation

Last edited:
Not only for interest sake, but also to see what I should be aiming at from a production angle.

I can help with the 1st but when it comes to production I think it's really important people find their own way. One of the best things about the exchange is seeing how other people approach it. There really isn't a wrong way of doing it. Just by going through the palava of creating, printing then posting, you are showing that you *care* about your photography. To me - as a recipient of your work - that makes you someone I can learn from.

That said - I'm happy to send you a copy of my stuff. Just PM me your address.

I can help with the 1st but when it comes to production I think it's really important people find their own way. One of the best things about the exchange is seeing how other people approach it. There really isn't a wrong way of doing it. Just by going through the palava of creating, printing then posting, you are showing that you *care* about your photography. To me - as a recipient of your work - that makes you someone I can learn from.

That said - I'm happy to send you a copy of my stuff. Just PM me your address.

Thank you very much Ian, PM on the way

I don't intend copying anyone else, but would like to see if what I have in mind aligns roughly with others ideas.
My only knowledge of a zine are the football clubs fanzines, one of the early ones was the O's "Orientear".

PM me your address

I'm a newbie here and I've never done this before.... but I'd quite like to give it a try. I have no idea what I'm doing though...! :-D

I think the six or seven of us who started this are in the same boat in terms of not knowing what they're doing :)

Drop me a PM

The only thing I would say is that your zine should have a theme or tell a story.

I have a couple of spares if anyone wants them, pm addresses

Drop me a PM

The only thing I would say is that your zine should have a theme or tell a story.

Thanks very much for the offer, but I have a couple on the way which will help me understand what others do.
No doubt enough for our good old posties to do without adding to their load, but the offer is much appreciated.

So has anyone got an idea yet?

I know I was reluctant to share the content of NOMFUP simply because I didn't want anyone saying that it was carp when I was committed to doing it. Is that a downside to something like this? We don't have much to talk about because it kinda spoils the surprise at the end, so no one talks about what they're planning to do? Or do most people leave it until the last month before putting something together and therefore don't talk about it because they haven't thought about it yet?

I appreciate that getting feedback can be helpful, but it can also spoil an original idea by diluting it. When I ran my photography courses, it was invaluable to beginners, but as they progressed through the courses, their ideas became more well formed, and feedback could occasionally spoil a well laid plan - especially if it dented self-confidence.

Anyway, with a few more people interested this time around I was wondering if there's anything we can do to keep people engaged...

Surprising as it may seem given my usual last minute panic, I have 2 ideas, both progressed to the point I know where they are going. Plan A involves using my new toy when it arrives, and plan B doesn't, so I think we both know which plan is going into action don't we :)

On the plus side, plan A will hopefully migrate nicely to season 4

As to what they are....I dunno, are we discussing ideas now or does that dilute the surprise and novelty somewhat?

I know I was reluctant to share the content of NOMFUP simply because I didn't want anyone saying that it was carp when I was committed to doing it. Is that a downside to something like this? We don't have much to talk about because it kinda spoils the surprise at the end, so no one talks about what they're planning to do? Or do most people leave it until the last month before putting something together and therefore don't talk about it because they haven't thought about it yet?

I appreciate that getting feedback can be helpful, but it can also spoil an original idea by diluting it. When I ran my photography courses, it was invaluable to beginners, but as they progressed through the courses, their ideas became more well formed, and feedback could occasionally spoil a well laid plan - especially if it dented self-confidence.

Anyway, with a few more people interested this time around I was wondering if there's anything we can do to keep people engaged...

I have an ongoing project that I had been considering making into a Photobook.
It will lend itself nicely to a zine, once travel is easier again I have another that needs a lot more work.

Did consider using this, but others have already seen it, shame because I think it would have worked well
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/the-making-of-a-lake.713699/

I have a couple of ideas using some old and new shots mixed together

my back burner idea is wholly dependent on covid 19 travel restrictions being lifted , we lived in ROI for 4 years and I would need to go across the water for 3 shots to complete my sequence

gary

just to mention
I have purchased Affinity Publisher and have the spent the morning having fun!!

looks like more on line learning required!!

I have a couple ideas and what I think is a neat design for the zine itself.

All I'll say is that it involves architecture around Liverpool and Ilford HP5+

I have other fall back ideas that will use images from my collection.

Ian was kind enough to tell me about this and it sounds like a great idea. I'll have to start thinking about my next zine if newbies are allowed to join in. In the meantime, I'd be be up for zine swaps.

Glad you made it here Richard! Anyone is allowed to join in, and if you decide to, you have a whole 6 months to do another project 'cos the deadline is April!

Ian was kind enough to tell me about this and it sounds like a great idea. I'll have to start thinking about my next zine if newbies are allowed to join in. In the meantime, I'd be be up for zine swaps.
I have a couple left of my first one.

I'm currently working on my first zine. A bumper 32 page one which I'm hopefully going to use a a fundraiser for the charity I work for (I'm doing it in my own time as a personal project). I still need to get a pic for the front cover but all the rest are all laid out in Affinity. It'll go to print in the next couple of weeks all being well.

When I see how this one works, I'll have to give some thoughts to ideas for the one for the swap.

I still have plenty of copies on my zine left and happy to do a swap. PM me if you want to do so.

Back