Product Reviews, do you bother?

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Wasted my time with an honest review of a product I bought and returned, gave it one star for complete design fail
So Panasonic GX9 grip from UK Digital, no cutout for battery/memory card compartment and lack of Arca compatible or any other clamp rails.
Bought some taps and waste from a well known online Plumbing retailer
Taps were excellent, waste wasn't, no review published and site only shows gushing five star write ups.
10 Ink Cartridges that came in four separate packages a day or two apart from Switzerland
I became unwittingly the importer of grey goods, again no review published, that one really p***ed me off.
Said they do it like that so the packages fit through the letter box.
Oh and there was me stupidly thinking it was to keep it below the duty level from a non EU country.

Do you bother any more writing a less than posiitive review knowing it's unlikely to see the light of day.
In fact is it even worth bothering looking at reviews if this is the modus operandi of too many retailers.
To be fair Amazon published one of my totally useless product one star comments, but they seem to be the one of the few that will.
Reviews are or at least were a valuable buying tool, perhaps we should start asking the failing companies where is my review?

Last edited:
Yes always if I’m extremely happy or unhappy, but not much point reviewing on a website or dedicated company site, very unlikely they will publish something that will affect their sales.

Amazon generally publish all, then something like trust pilot or a 3rd party site, if I’m buying main items, I do quite a big search and I am thankful for those that take time to give an honest review.

Wasted my time with an honest review of a product I bought and returned, gave it one star for complete design fail
So Panasonic GX9 grip from UK Digital, no cutout for battery/memory card compartment and lack of Arca compatible or any other clamp rails.
Bought some taps and waste from a well known online Plumbing retailer
Taps were excellent, waste wasn't, no review published and site only shows gushing five star write ups.
10 Ink Cartridges that came in four separate packages a day or two apart from Switzerland
I became unwittingly the importer of grey goods, again no review published, that one really p***ed me off.
Said they do it like that so the packages fit through the letter box.
Oh and there was me stupidly thinking it was to keep it below the duty level from a non EU country.

Do you bother any more writing a less than posiitive review knowing it's unlikely to see the light of day.
In fact is it even worth bothering looking at reviews if this is the modus operandi of too many retailers.
To be fair Amazon published one of my totally useless product one star comments, but they seem to be the one of the few that will.
Reviews are or at least were a valuable buying tool, perhaps we should start asking the failing companies where is my review?

It has to be said, you do seem to buy a lot of junk! :)

It has to be said, you do seem to buy a lot of junk! :)

So will everybody else if my reviews don't get published.
Taps were fine and the Canon ink cartridges too.
Grip not so much and waste was a leaky cack fest.

I always try to, but IME Amazon are the only seller that are honest enough to display them all.

I've had some really crap produce from Tesco so far this year, but they've not published one of my reviews. :dummy:

No, I would never bother writing a review (positive or negative) directly on the suppliers site. As a consumer I would also never trust a review or testimonial that was published directly by the supplier. They will only ever publish the good ones which aren't worth the......keyboard they were typed on (?!)

If it's an independent store stocking 3rd party items (e.g. Amazon) then I would write a review if I was a) highly impressed or b) extremely dissapointed with an item.

if the seller decides not to display your review because it is negative, they must have read it first and so know you had a negative experience. Any business that wants to survive into the long term will take that seriously even if they keep it to themselves. Your negative review will help to make other's experiences positive.

I sometimes write reviews, but normally just trust pilot, amazon and trip advisor rather than a specific merchant's site.

I do also leave positive reviews and sometimes contact the retailer to thank them for a good experience

I sometimes write reviews, but normally just trust pilot, amazon and trip advisor rather than a specific merchant's site.

I used to post reviews to Trip advisor regular enough, back when I traveled a lot and stayed in many hotels - but I stopped bothering after a couple of negative [and justifiably so] reviews I posted went AWOL - they were taken down without any explanation. I feel that many establishments also add their own 5 star reviews. It's a bit fishy when you look up a hotel or whatever, and it's all glowing reviews, you book in and when you arrive find it's an absoloute hole!

Latest one for us was for a toaster from a well known box shifter on the high street. All I could say about it was that it makes bread browner...

I often do take the time to write reviews, especially if an item is particularly good or bad and will go back and update the review should something happen to change my opinion on it.

Latest one for us was for a toaster from a well known box shifter on the high street. All I could say about it was that it makes bread browner...

I often do take the time to write reviews, especially if an item is particularly good or bad and will go back and update the review should something happen to change my opinion on it.

I think we have the same toaster :ROFLMAO: Actually ours is a crappy Tesco one, 4-slices of lovely warm bread whenever you like ... so long as when you like isn't in the next 8 minutes

Back