Profoto connect

Edit My Images
No
So Profoto have just released an ultra basic radio trigger called the Connect, it's got 3 settings which are Off, Auto and Manual. Only way to adjust power remotely other than auto is via the Profoto app, I can see the simplicity appealing to some but it seems an odd choice when it offers no real control via manual and retails for £259 inc (the full blown Air TTL is £359).

I'm sure you get the idea but here's a video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6ouMDUJuP8

Perhaps I'm not seeing the genius of it but it seems to me to be from the same school of thought that decided removing the sync port on the B10 was a good idea, it's also released on April 1st...

What other settings do you need? Most triggers only have on or off and channel selection.

This adds the Ettl functionality 'auto' should you need it.

Its only a trigger, you still need to adjust your lights, and balance that with aperture / shutter speed as normal. (or use TTL, with the same override settings available)

What other settings do you need? Most triggers only have on or off and channel selection.

I don't really use TTL so OK seems fine if all you ever do is live in TTL but isn't it odd to completely remove all controls when I would have said one of the strengths of the Profoto system was they had a simple to use yet fully featured radio trigger system implemented many years ago.

Its only a trigger, you still need to adjust your lights, and balance that with aperture / shutter speed as normal. (or use TTL, with the same override settings available)

Normal for me is controlling the lights by the remote which this can't do, I'm not saying it doesn't have its place (or that it needs to replicate the full blown Air TTL), just seems an odd place with limited features, no in/out sync, non-removable battery and a top end price tag.

Back