Projector Help Cannon SX80

Name
Mark Gameson
Edit My Images
Yes
Good Morning

I am hoping some of the TP members can help with this.

Our club has a Cannon SX80 projector which we are having issues with.

Over the last couple of weeks a few of the committee have re-calibrated it twice!! Last week it appeared to be ok when we had a speaker using it. Well last night we had the final round of our PDI league and the colours were off again in terms of the greens being too green comparing them to the laptop screen there was a difference, this has obviously cause a bit of upset with member (rightfully so). It turns out the the projector was re-calibrated on Sunday night (no idea why) and then to top it all the HDMI cable was replaced after the calibration!

Now I don't understand how it all works to be honest but to my simple way of thinking if the HDMI cable was changed surely the projector should be re-calibrated to be sure everything is as it should be.

We use the Dicentra software for projection.

So please can anyone help with any advice?

@GreenNinja67 was there so he may be able to have some input to this too!

Thanks in advance

My images displayed perfectly (as good as on my home iMac) so it's not all images.

Which is going to make it nigh on impossible to calibrate it to please everyone.

I don't think it did a bad job at all last night. It's never going to be as good as a calibrated screen as it's a completely different piece of equipment.

My club has an SX80 though it is now our second projector. However, each of our three laptops are calibrated with each projector. While we no longer use the SX80 for club competitions (our WUX450 is higher resolution), it is regularly used for our roadshows and external groups. The change of HDMI cable should make no difference. While we use PhotoComp and PhotoEX software, I doubt that there will be any difference. You do need to set the projector correctly and depending on what calibrator you use, the order changes. If using a Spyder system (we used to use a Spyder Pro 3) you can set the projector first then calibrate for each Laptop. However, we now use a Xrite i1 and this alters the tonal values during calibration so the project has to be reset, then calibrated then tonal settings altered manually. After calibrating, we always check carefully with tonal charts and some sample images we have to be absolutely sure.

In the last ten years the only issues have been due to:

a. a faulty profile on one of the Laptops cause odd colours even when it was not selected but once deleted all was well.
b. Recent changes to Windows 10 seems to result in confusion when changing the Laptop or projector combinations. Prior to this Windows could always recognise the projector and set the correct profile/resolution automatically. Now we always check at the start of a competition. Very occasionally one of our projectors has reset and thus lost its settings. If you wish to contact me directly I can give you much more information as we have built up a lot of experience which included consulting with Canon experts.

Dave

My club has an SX80 though it is now our second projector. However, each of our three laptops are calibrated with each projector. While we no longer use the SX80 for club competitions (our WUX450 is higher resolution), it is regularly used for our roadshows and external groups. The change of HDMI cable should make no difference. While we use PhotoComp and PhotoEX software, I doubt that there will be any difference. You do need to set the projector correctly and depending on what calibrator you use, the order changes. If using a Spyder system (we used to use a Spyder Pro 3) you can set the projector first then calibrate for each Laptop. However, we now use a Xrite i1 and this alters the tonal values during calibration so the project has to be reset, then calibrated then tonal settings altered manually. After calibrating, we always check carefully with tonal charts and some sample images we have to be absolutely sure.

In the last ten years the only issues have been due to:

a. a faulty profile on one of the Laptops cause odd colours even when it was not selected but once deleted all was well.
b. Recent changes to Windows 10 seems to result in confusion when changing the Laptop or projector combinations. Prior to this Windows could always recognise the projector and set the correct profile/resolution automatically. Now we always check at the start of a competition. Very occasionally one of our projectors has reset and thus lost its settings. If you wish to contact me directly I can give you much more information as we have built up a lot of experience which included consulting with Canon experts.

Dave

Thank you Dave that is very interesting I will pass this on

Back