Property Boom

grumpybadger

Alan Rickman
Name
Paul Beastall
Edit My Images
Yes
This is another attempt to expand from the wildlife stuff I am comfortable with.

EOS 1Ds MkII with "Really Useful Box" softbox, two Tesco angle-poise lamps, Canon MT-24EX macro flash and Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro.

It's very different to what I normally do, both in terms of subject matter and post processing so any thoughts appreciated.

Property Boom

2007_Monopoly_layers.jpg

There are four separate images merged together. A whole scene shot at f/8 and then f/22 shots of the hat, word "Mayfair" and the houses all layered in PS. Then a bit of Gaussian blur on the SuperTax bit to try and get a selective DoF feel, a bit like a T&S lens. Thanks to Sue (whooshdemon) for PS advice...

Paul

Nicely worked, I'm always the boot insistently. (y)

Thanks all. Certainly has opened my eyes to the merits of a table top studio. I can see more fun to be had with this type of thing...

Alby - I'm normally the little dog, but the top hat felt more appropriate for the image.

Paul

Nice PP :) Car for me, what's the currency?

Fantastic image - really like it!

Whats a "Really Useful Box" softbox? that a homemade one?

Fantastic image - really like it!

Whats a "Really Useful Box" softbox? that a homemade one?

Yup. Really Useful Boxes are big plastic boxes and I'm using one as a diffuser as a home made lightbox. Will make something better but was just an experiment.

hi paul..did you get back up to gigrin farm?

hope the weather was a little kinder to you ;)

Yes, went back on the other trip I was talking about. I may try again this year, if I do, I'll drop you a line!

Paul

what processing have you done to it? looks kind of silky and smooth

Processing was as follows:

1. 4 exposures stacked in CS3 to get depth of field where I wanted it. They were:
(a) Hat at f/22
(b) Houses at f/22
(c) "Mayfair" at f/22
(d) entire scene at f/8
2. Using Layer Masks, the exposures were stacked with the relevant layers giving me the focal subjects sharp and the rest of the image soft
3. Gaussian blur on the right hand side of the image to further soften it
4. Import to Lightroom and convert to the cyanotype preset
5. Adjustment of exposure, contrast, black point and highlight recovery to get the look I wanted...

Paul

Successful temporary ? change in direction there(y)

Thanks for the PP walkthrough, this turned out really nicely. Fight you for the car, dod!

I really like it. It's a great image with lovely composition but there's a few strange halos around the houses in the background and the houses in the middle. Not sure if that was intentional but aside from that, great job!

Back