Public liabilities insurance for sports events ?

Edit My Images
Yes
I was at a grass track event today, and when I asked about getting access to the inside of the track I was told that I needed PL insurance for up to 10 million.
Now for my work doing light repairs/maintenance to houses I have cover for up to 5 million, but I guess that won't cover me for photography, so before I ask my insurance broker I just wondered if any of you who do this sort of thing know anything about it, and maybe can recommend companies that might cover me.
I am clearly not a pro, but do a small amount of paid photography (which does get declared) if that makes any difference - thanks for any help !

I was at a grass track event today, and when I asked about getting access to the inside of the track I was told that I needed PL insurance for up to 10 million.
Now for my work doing light repairs/maintenance to houses I have cover for up to 5 million, but I guess that won't cover me for photography, so before I ask my insurance broker I just wondered if any of you who do this sort of thing know anything about it, and maybe can recommend companies that might cover me.
I am clearly not a pro, but do a small amount of paid photography (which does get declared) if that makes any difference - thanks for any help !

I hoped my Tradesmen's PL insurance would cover me for sports photography but it didn't.

I had to get a separate PL but, for football, I have up to £2 million for National League and EFL.

£10 million seems very high?

Maybe email them and see if they can confirm (y)

I hoped my Tradesmen's PL insurance would cover me for sports photography but it didn't.

I had to get a separate PL but, for football, I have up to £2 million for National League and EFL.

£10 million seems very high?

Maybe email them and see if they can confirm (y)
Thanks for your reply Wez - yeah, it does seem rather high..!
Like you, I hoped that my PL would cover me.
I will contact the club as away from a meeting they may have a few more minutes to reply...

It's only 5 million for premiership football and look how much those players are worth (well cost not worth).... Hi is correct with the PL but not sure about his figures.. I would ask in talk motorsport for a more informed response :) https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/talk-motorsport-and-transport.95/

Just read your post again... I presumed it was motorsport as you said track? could have been athletics? what was it?

Last edited:
It's only 5 million for premiership football and look how much those players are worth (well cost not worth).... Hi is correct with the PL but not sure about his figures.. I would ask in talk motorsport for a more informed response :) https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/talk-motorsport-and-transport.95/

Just read your post again... I presumed it was motorsport as you said track? could have been athletics? what was it?

It was a grass track event, so yes, motorsport.
I've asked the person I spoke to to let me know.
BTW, I like your comment on who much footballers are worth/cost..
Thanks for the help !

Most motorsport in the UK requires £5m of PLI cover, and that includes the British Touring Crashing Championship.

£10m for a grass track event seems a little OTT. Not many brokers will offer £10m.

£10 million PL to stand on the inside of the track translated means - "no you cannot stand in the center of the track but I don't want to say so in as many words"

As has been said it's £5 million for premier football so how someone can come up with £10 million for some old bangers with a load of gypos driving round in a circle is laughable. :LOL:

I have £5 million for my PLI although i only shoot Southern Premier league (Dorchester Town) also Dorchester Rugby etc (all non league Football standard in their sport as such) it is over kill for that standard but sometimes i may go up to the local Council Sports ground if asked by a couple of mates who play in a couple of cricket teams also a couple friends play in Abilities Count team and have asked me up to take pictures of them, I have been on a number of occasions by someone from the council saying to shoot sports on the Councils land i need £5 million PLI so i got it and his face was a picture the next time he came over and asked for more than £2m which i used to have, :) I did check with the local Newspaper who do take some of my pictures (paid for) when they see i have something i have got and it is so called common knowledge that a lot of councils require £5 m cover.
I also do some Moto X events solo's,Quads etc on farm land and also Weymouth Beach, What i have found is various insurers require £5m for Motor Sports as long as you are in a special area for Photographers which must be roped off from the track although with Moto x it maybe just a roll of tape between the track layout stakes. But my insurers will not insure me for Speedway as you are not in a roped off area as Grasstrack is the same but on grass i guess the Clerk of the Course won't allow it unless you have sky high insurance.
Also i have found you can not just turn up and expect trackside access, Most motor racing clubs i deal with insist you apply well in advance for a permit for an event and depending on how many photographers are allowed track side by the event insurer depends on if you will be considered then normally you have to prove you are covering the event for Press/Club etc, If you are just doing it for a hobby it is very rare you get permission to go trackside, A very hard circle to break as if you cant get trackside how do you get experience/pictures, no doubt the same as all the lads (& lass's) doing prem Footie/Rugby etc start off at the bottom and work hard try to get local newspapers to take your pictures and build up a reputation with them.
No doubt someone will come on and say it's easier from where they come from but that's how it works around here.

No doubt someone will come on and say it's easier from where they come from but that's how it works around here.

I was about to haha

NW England... I am on council land and sports area every week.. for about 15 years.. never had anyone from the council ask about PL cover ever!

OK, I have now heard back, and the figure is £5 million, not ten.
The lady I was speaking to at the event was more than happy for me to go to the inside of the track as long as I could show that I was covered.
I was actually surprised as I had expected a flat refusal, or maybe ACU membership along with insurance.

Not sure about shapeshifter's comments about 'some old bangers with a load of gypos driving round in a circle' - this was a round of the 500cc sidecar super series, not banger racing.
This sort of thing -

DSC_1496 e_tonemapped_resize
by stevewestern on Talk Photography

Yes, I know that's not a sidecar....

Last edited:
Grass track bikes! now you never said that.No gypos in old bangers there.LOL. Some here though

BBB_1997.JPG

Back